The Square festival

Guest solitaire

Bang on.

We are working on our set. When we launched our Mr. Nobody Single last week we played an intro of robert Miles' "Children" and it went down well, so watch out for that.

Weather looks OK so should be a good one.

Anyone up for some Beach Football?

Fairplay this wasn't a bad little festival for Year 1, at 2500 peeps there. Nice location with the beach 5 minutes walk away. The site itself had a weird set-up, all seemed to close/probably one tent to many to close together. All happenning at the same time rather than alternating.

They ran late on 1st day and the fairly slow security checks did cause a few problems.

The quality of music wasn't the best in places and the main stage itself could have been a bit better.

I did watch you Zenyth and thought you guys were damn good, something a bit different, awesome tunes and great guitarist. As you opened on Saturday you left a hard act to follow for the acts and no-one lived upto it until the DJ set by Pendulum. Your 'Children' cover was awesome.

A lot of peeps were talking about you possibly as you guys seemed to be proactive, lots of festy goers carrying your little flyers round.

Will keep an eye on more of your progress. Well worth watching. Off to buy your EPs.

Fairplay this wasn't a bad little festival for Year 1, at 2500 peeps there. Nice location with the beach 5 minutes walk away. The site itself had a weird set-up, all seemed to close/probably one tent to many to close together. All happenning at the same time rather than alternating.

They ran late on 1st day and the fairly slow security checks did cause a few problems.

The quality of music wasn't the best in places and the main stage itself could have been a bit better.

I did watch you Zenyth and thought you guys were damn good, something a bit different, awesome tunes and great guitarist. As you opened on Saturday you left a hard act to follow for the acts and no-one lived upto it until the DJ set by Pendulum. Your 'Children' cover was awesome.

A lot of peeps were talking about you possibly as you guys seemed to be proactive, lots of festy goers carrying your little flyers round.

Will keep an eye on more of your progress. Well worth watching. Off to buy your EPs.

Aye firstly I thought it was great that The square festival took place and I hope it continues,since it is the festivals first year and was a great opportunity to see some great welsh talent having a chance to get some exposure.All new festivals have teething problems and as I watched the Square team work their bollocks off I think that furure events will become even better.

I would like to take this opportunity though to express my dismay at the claustrophobic approach by the police and security [Titan].Stopping live in vehicles and searching them and police walking thru the campsite on friday and questioning festival goers,at one stage the two police officers [one of them had a yellow tabard without police on it] hovered over some teenagers,got on to there radios and the same young persons then had to show their ID to a bloke on one of those small buggies.Access to the music was'nt a pleasant experience having to be searched [extremely slowly] and on saturday nite it took us just under half an hour to get in.On sunday before Alabama 3 it actually felt that we were imprisoned;seven security before the stage two to the right and three to the left with two young stewards behind us, this was added to by the presence of a security guard walking behind the fence with a patrol dog[funnily enough there was a stall selling posters of Steve Mc Queen in the great escape].I also heard on monday morning that some people were prevented from leaving the site by security after the music had stopped and was wondering if anybody can confirm this.

The main festival rumour was that the security might be a bit different next year.

Thought the festival was brilliant for its first proper run. The security was full on, I agree with that. Did seem too excessive at times.

The atmosphere was brilliant though I thought, everyone in good spirits and enjoying the weather and surroundings. Alabama 3 were a fantastic was to finish off the festival as well.

Hope the secrutiy issue doesn't put some people off next year, I know the organiser well and he'll be looking for and taking on board as much feedback as possible to make next years even better! They really put their all in this year to try and make it a success, and will do it all again next year.

Spread the word - keep the ball rolling. Square 2009 is going to be another weekend to remember ;)

Couple of photos I've recently uploaded, plenty more to come.. One looking over Borth and the festival arena from the hill behind http://flickr.com/photos/cytoon/2712957423/sizes/l/

And Alabama 3's finale on Sunday night http://flickr.com/photos/cytoon/2713757616/sizes/l/

Edited by cytoon

Got to the camping ground on friday evening had a good look around (and a few beers etc etc ) good atmosphere!

Saturday thought the same as already been said loads of security about abit full on at the gates with the searches!

Got to the front of the stage to watch pendulum play (thought they were great) untill about half way through when the crowd started pushing forward and most at the front started getting squashed watched the security hold the barriers back for quite a while thoght they all worked well together (I FOR ONE WOULD NOT HAVE SWAPPED PLACES WITH THEM AT THAT POINT)

Saturday night spoke to a few people they all said the same about the TITAN security to many off them and in your face

Sunday took time out to speak to a few of security lads most would take time to chat with you (some were up there own backside)

Asked why search everyone everytime ? Answer If you saw some of the things taken from people you would understand!

Asked one off the lads with the dogs why are they here ? answer to keep the number of security guards down and is it fair for some people to jump the fence without paying while most people have paid

So all in all yes they were in you face some of the time but could you run a festival without them more to the point would YOU do there job yourself

The music was good for the 2 days

shame there wasn't more stores there

Not enough toilets on site

But like its been said already bring on 2009

The weather helped obviously, but I considered that to be one really great weekend.

A really great location and most things really well catered for.

A great varity of bands and in most cases of a very high standard. A shame one of the bigger? named bands failed to show, unforgiveable.

The organizers can take heart and consider a job very well done.

That organic beer went down very nicely!.

A great weekend and a big well done to all of the bands for making it so enjoyable.

Mark me down for next year ......

;)

Any suggestions of headliners for next year?

the security were absolute w*nkers, apart from that every single part of the festival was brilliant! according to chris the festival organiser there will deffo be different security next year and also there were some problems with not enough toilets turning up, all factors that will be addressed by next year. The Anomalies were absolutely fantastic!!! and the whole vibe and atmosphere throughout the festival was perfect, especially on the pendulum day. A personal note would be to have less hippies but obviously you cant stop that, but apart from that absolutely perfect. Also the Crimea not showing up was a pain, nevertheless Zenyth and Black Russian made it up for me (along with the D&B Kontrol tent and the previously mentioned bands). The bar was well good too! massive silver dome space ship thing with some awesome variety of drinks too at very reasonable prices. I cant wait for next year!!!!! hope everyone enjoyed the half buried car at the entrance too ;) haha

Square Festival security from a professional dog handler’s point of view…….. The festival

would not have taken place if the security provisions had not been present, as part of the license conditions as required by the police and organisers. I couldn’t believe the amount of visitors who ignored the signs saying NO GLASS, and tried to enter with bottles of beer, wine and spirits, as this was part of the license agreement the venue could have been closed down, but thanks to the security checks people were not refused entry, they were just asked to transfer the liquid to plastic containers which were provided.

A large amount of knives and possible weapons were also found as people entered the venue, possibly saving someone from being injured or worse.

Drugs were also found, (what a shock) as a dog handler I was disgusted when my dog had a

syringe stuck his face as he patrolled the perimeter, this could have been a CHILD. Who then would have been to blame? The organisers for not providing sufficient security measures to

protect festival goers. No the tossers who were responsible for throwing the needle on the floor.

The dog handlers were there to prevent people who hadn't paid for a ticket entering illegally and enjoying the same privileges as those who had. I stopped at least 30 people over the weekend from coming through the bushes at the rear of the site, that’s a lot of money to loose.

When the festival ended Saturday and Sunday night NO ONE was prevented from leaving, they left because the music had stopped, and they left very happy, indeed a lot of them thanked us for looking after them.

If some of the people who attended the venue hadn’t been either high on drugs or drunk, non of the complaints would have been made and the measures to protect people would have been

appreciated, but then professional security staff and professional dog handlers are always in the wrong for doing their job, and if they don't do their job they are still criticised.

Those in the security industry are used to dealing with idiots who cant see beyond their own noses and have to take criticism for doing a job nobody else would do, but still carry on doing it for the satisfaction of knowing they have probably saved someone from being injured.

As for the security staff both on patrol and at the entrance to the venue they did an excellent job, over the two day period only a couple of people were evicted and that was for being drunk and abusive trying to spoil everyone else’s weekend.

So I say to all those whinging about the professionals protecting them, enabling them to enjoy themselves in a pleasant atmosphere, think twice and be grateful.

We had a great time.

We stayed Saturday night and had a great time, some wicked stuff in the World Tent.

Cannot believe The Crimea did not show up! That is pretty poor showing.

We would love to go back next year. Possibly to appear later on the Main Stage.

Square Festival security from a professional dog handler’s point of view…….. The festival

would not have taken place if the security provisions had not been present, as part of the license conditions as required by the police and organisers. I couldn’t believe the amount of visitors who ignored the signs saying NO GLASS, and tried to enter with bottles of beer, wine and spirits, as this was part of the license agreement the venue could have been closed down, but thanks to the security checks people were not refused entry, they were just asked to transfer the liquid to plastic containers which were provided.

A large amount of knives and possible weapons were also found as people entered the venue, possibly saving someone from being injured or worse.

Drugs were also found, (what a shock) as a dog handler I was disgusted when my dog had a

syringe stuck his face as he patrolled the perimeter, this could have been a CHILD. Who then would have been to blame? The organisers for not providing sufficient security measures to

protect festival goers. No the tossers who were responsible for throwing the needle on the floor.

The only critiscm we had was that there was only one line in for the festy goers. When we were goin on stage there was a pretty long line. When Pendulum were going on it was huge. If there 2 or 3 lines it would have eased the peoples patience and they would get in quicker.

yes i agree security should be there but they should spend a little more time in the camping fields and then maybe people tents would not have been robbed like they :D were] we had all our children dvd players and psp players stolen

The dog handlers were there to prevent people who hadn't paid for a ticket entering illegally and enjoying the same privileges as those who had. I stopped at least 30 people over the weekend from coming through the bushes at the rear of the site, that’s a lot of money to loose.

When the festival ended Saturday and Sunday night NO ONE was prevented from leaving, they left because the music had stopped, and they left very happy, indeed a lot of them thanked us for looking after them.

If some of the people who attended the venue hadn’t been either high on drugs or drunk, non of the complaints would have been made and the measures to protect people would have been

appreciated, but then professional security staff and professional dog handlers are always in the wrong for doing their job, and if they don't do their job they are still criticised.

Those in the security industry are used to dealing with idiots who cant see beyond their own noses and have to take criticism for doing a job nobody else would do, but still carry on doing it for the satisfaction of knowing they have probably saved someone from being injured.

As for the security staff both on patrol and at the entrance to the venue they did an excellent job, over the two day period only a couple of people were evicted and that was for being drunk and abusive trying to spoil everyone else’s weekend.

So I say to all those whinging about the professionals protecting them, enabling them to enjoy themselves in a pleasant atmosphere, think twice and be grateful.

At no point did I feel that the security professionals were protecting me,quite the reverse actually,I found them them to be totally impersonal,devoid of a sense of humour and at best their attitude stunk,but then again that is just my humble opinion.

I would find it very strange for a dog handler outside of the fenced arena to comment on the actions of his colleagues inside the arena especially when it was dark to give an accurate account of the behaviour of the security inside,as he has intimated he was too busy chasing down people trying to breach the fence to observe the actions of others.

I would hate to think that we are going to get bogged down on the security of this event and would like to take this opportunity of saying that there were some great bands,extremely friendly festival goers,the cabaret was first class,and I think it was called the Serene cafe which was bloody excellent.A last mention must go to the HalfwayHouse up in the camping field;first timers providing soft drinks coffee/tea and the best stew I've had at a festival in a long while.Long may this festival continue at least for us it has also put Borth on the map.

After reading the replys and the comments made by others about the security I find it odd that no one as a good thing to say about them !

a comment made by solitaire (At no point did I feel that the security professionals were protecting me,quite the reverse actually,I found them them to be totally impersonal,devoid of a sense of humour and at best their attitude stunk)

Did you speak to all security or just a cuople of them ( I SPOKE TO A FEW LADS AND YES SOME WERE PRATS BUT MOST WERE HAPPY TO SPEAK AND HAVE A LAUGH)

WHAT IS THERE OPIONS OF US THE FESTIVAL GOERS DO THEY THINK WE ARE ALL PRATS BECAUSE OF THE ONES THEY HAD TO SPEAK TO OR EJECT

JUST A POINT WORTH THINKING ABOUT BEFORE WE ALL SLAG THEM OFF

I have been to many a festival were the security have been totaly sh*t were people have got all types of things in without been searched

ANOTHER QUESTION WHY ARE PEOPLE TAKING WEAPONS INTO A FESTIVAL?

aye whatisis, as you quite rightly say "some were prats",they are not paid to be prats. but to provide a service to the paying public who pay their wages.As I have posted it is a shame to keep harping on about the security which is taking away from the festival itself which was for a first time festival pretty much a success.

Edited by solitaire

Point I am trying to make is we are taring them all with the same brush!

Is there a website for security were they are calling ALL of us toss**s because of the FEW people they had dealings with which were ars*eholes over the weekend (WE ALL SAW FESTIVAL GOERS THERE WHICH WERE)

Apart from that lets hope it goes ahead in 2009

• 7 months later...

Hey, Does anyone actually know where this festival is held?

i've seen details and a few friends and i are thinking of giving it a try. but where is it? lol

I've heard about this festival on my other site, an Urban75 mate of mine is involved with lining up some acts and DJs. :ph34r:

We can't go cos we're already committed to WOMAD the same weekend, but next year, when we'll probably need to be downscaling our festie budget, Square will be a definite option (despite my out of date username we live in Swansea atm).

I really hope they sort the Security out. Security at festivals is necessary obviously, but it's not rocket science to provide some more laid back arrangements. Some of those stories from last year sound unnecessarily OTT. Leaping on 2 youngsters for sharing a ciggie, FFS!

If we hear chilled reports from 2009 we could very well be there in 2010. Proximity of beach definitely a plus.

Edited by William of Walworth

all suggestions have been taken into consideration for this years square festival and the security problems have been dealt with. tickets are now on sale with a few artists announced already and many many more in the coming weeks. highlight so far: SUPERGRASS!!! :lol:

http://www.ts.com/portal/event/8467

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12079873383&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1207...eid=71377702921

main site www.thesquarefestival.com not updated yet bt will be shortly