Dance Village

Guest crewealexfan

Not many people mentioning the Dance Village so far so I'll start the ball rolling...

The rain had stopped by the time I got to Dance West on friday to catch the Freestylers DJ set, lots of nice breaks. Then round the corner to the G Stage for more breaks from Soul of Man who didn't quite live up to my expectations (but my expectations of Soul of Man are unrealistically high). Back to Dance West for a more house/techno set from James Zabelia, excellent, then back to the G Stage for more breaks from the Stanton Warriors. What a superb way to start the festival :)

Saturday, unfortuantely missed A Skillz but I'm told he was on form. Another night in Dance West with more brilliant breaks sets from the Plump DJs and The Grid. Then Nicky Holloway did an old skool club classics set - half way through he faded the tunes down a bit and said "If you'd have said 20 years ago that Glastonbury would have five dance stages they'd have laughed at you, they'd have said it was just a fad. Our music is the only music which has lasted 20 years...so you can stick your guitars up your arse" and then faded the tunes back up. Cue rapturous applause. The night finished with an excellent and eclectic set from Dave Seaman (no, not the former England goalie).

Sunday and Dance West again, yet more great breaks this time from Lee Coombs. This was followed by a live performance by jazz/funk outfit Kraak And Smaak who were very well received, then a progressive house set from Sander Kleinenberg. Off to Pussy Parlure, simply to avoid System 7 - honestly, that bloke has been playing exactly the same f**king riff for over 30 years :D. The night, and the festival, were finished off in superb style with a blinding techno set from Derrick May.

All of which left me no time to check out anything in Dance East, so does anyone want to report what things were like on the other side of the street?

(I did see some bands during the day, btw)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thursday night - watched cut copy in the dance lounge and i was blown away. was told they were like the klaxons but in all honesty they are much better, deffo gonna try and see them again. then it was on to the pussy palure to catch the last bit of atomic hooligan dj set. up next was some band who really ruined the mood imo so we went out for a beer and a spliff. returned back to pussy palure to watch j mekka who was throwing out some awesome heavyweight breaks then watched slyde who was ok but i kinda lost interest in his set half way through.

friday - was too busy seeing bands and stuff but a mate came back raving about alex metrics set on the G stage

saturday - went to watch a few bands in the day then made it to the G stage for evil nine's set on top form as ever. then it was atomic hooligan in dance west, rocking live breaks the clowns at the front made me laugh then we created a mini circle pit with some other guys for the 2nd to last tune. saw start of plump djs but there sound bores me these days so went to G stage for the big dog sub focus. was a good set but not much atmosphere in the crowd. went to see band of horses at jp then the rest of roni size in dance east. it was like being back in the 90s wicked set i loved every min. was ment to see TC on the G stage but opted for jay z instead. headed to elite force at the lounge but started feelin a bit ropey so headed back.

sunday - went to watch mostly bands in the day but made sure i made up for missin TC and getting my drum n bass fix with clipz & die they wer class mixing soulful with heavy dnb and finishing with a sweet remix of TC's wheres my money?

watched unkle who i was pretty dissapointed in, i was hoping for ian brown to show up but didnt neither did ian drury. got to the west tent to try and catch a bit of derrick may must have caught last 20 seconds then went to lounge to see kissy sellout, he was ok but prefer his dj sets.

overall i had a wicked time in dance village and made sure i saw as many bands and djs as possible. just a bit gutted i missed cagedbaby (heard he rocked it) and the morning glory thing. and my only gripe was to queues to get in the bassy bit of the igloo were to big especially for radioslave on the sun who i was dying to see.

Made a Massive Mistake here!! Walked through the Rain up to the Silent Disco in the Park on Thurs. Got in and was having a buzz until I realised Yoda was not going to show up.................It was only the next day when in the Dance Area did I notice the Silent World...........Nearly started to cry :D Lucky I saw him a few weeks ago in Dublin but was really looking forward to it!! Anyone else make this school boy error??

Not many people mentioning the Dance Village so far so I'll start the ball rolling...

The rain had stopped by the time I got to Dance West on friday to catch the Freestylers DJ set, lots of nice breaks. Then round the corner to the G Stage for more breaks from Soul of Man who didn't quite live up to my expectations (but my expectations of Soul of Man are unrealistically high). Back to Dance West for a more house/techno set from James Zabelia, excellent, then back to the G Stage for more breaks from the Stanton Warriors. What a superb way to start the festival :)

Saturday, unfortuantely missed A Skillz but I'm told he was on form. Another night in Dance West with more brilliant breaks sets from the Plump DJs and The Grid. Then Nicky Holloway did an old skool club classics set - half way through he faded the tunes down a bit and said "If you'd have said 20 years ago that Glastonbury would have five dance stages they'd have laughed at you, they'd have said it was just a fad. Our music is the only music which has lasted 20 years...so you can stick your guitars up your arse" and then faded the tunes back up. Cue rapturous applause. The night finished with an excellent and eclectic set from Dave Seaman (no, not the former England goalie).

Sunday and Dance West again, yet more great breaks this time from Lee Coombs. This was followed by a live performance by jazz/funk outfit Kraak And Smaak who were very well received, then a progressive house set from Sander Kleinenberg. Off to Pussy Parlure, simply to avoid System 7 - honestly, that bloke has been playing exactly the same f**king riff for over 30 years :D. The night, and the festival, were finished off in superb style with a blinding techno set from Derrick May.

All of which left me no time to check out anything in Dance East, so does anyone want to report what things were like on the other side of the street?

(I did see some bands during the day, btw)

Gutted I missed Nicky Holloway, have had some good reports from that.

Anyway not sure but think it was Dance East rather than West on Friday, D & B live band with lady mc/singer who without sounding rude came across and sounded a bit like a bloke. I thought she said they were called Skin or something like that but they don't come up on any searches? Any ideas?

Anyway not sure but think it was Dance East rather than West on Friday, D & B live band with lady mc/singer who without sounding rude came across and sounded a bit like a bloke. I thought she said they were called Skin or something like that but they don't come up on any searches? Any ideas?

Made a Massive Mistake here!! Walked through the Rain up to the Silent Disco in the Park on Thurs. Got in and was having a buzz until I realised Yoda was not going to show up.................It was only the next day when in the Dance Area did I notice the Silent World...........Nearly started to cry :D Lucky I saw him a few weeks ago in Dublin but was really looking forward to it!! Anyone else make this school boy error??

Alex Metric's set was the one that kicked off my festival properly, absolutely amazing and a great atmosphere. Crack and Smaak were great on Sunday but Eat Static in the glade ruled for me, my favourite kind of Hard House/ Techno that got me into dance in the first place. Great atmosphere too! Then Phil Hartnoll to finish it all off in the dance lounge last thing sunday night. Perfect!!

Edited by Filthy

anyone catch The Whip? I thought they were excellent, felt much more "live" than I had expected. As for the Dance Village itself, I liked the Pussy Parlure as a late-night stop, but I still find the area as a whole a bit too much of a shit hole. Too many people wonder from Other Stage to JPT and vice versa, so Dance Village is a combination of a mass pathway for the indie types and a sanctuary for some the very disturbed people who are there for the DJs. Not that I don't sometimes find that quite charming! Many of the funniest sights are to be found in the wasteland between the East and West tents.

TC was by far and away the best Drum & bass set of the whole weekend, blew Subfocus and Clipz & Die out of the park. Reprazent just get better every time I see them (3rd time this year) but the highlight has to be a Techno remix of Wurzels - I'm a Cider Drinker, Roland the B*astard played at the end of his set (Just before TC), did anyone else catch it absolute quality :lol: ? Annie Mac was the best atmosphere wise.

Thought the dance village was mazin this year its turned into a proper festival itself and if only it had an old skool tent it would be the best dance festival of the calender. :P

I usually live in the Dance Village but bizarrely only made it in there once this year :lol:

Sunday night UNKLE in the East Coast (I think) were incredible in my opinion. Lovely thrashy end to the festival and loved it

:Don't particuarly like the term 'raver' but spent a lot of time in the dance village so here goes;

Thursday - Cut Copy - Absolutely spot on and got the weekend of to a flier. New album is excellent.

DJ Yoda - Funny, but the joke wore off after an hour. Worth seeing though.

Friday- 20:20 Soundsystem- excellent, funky house music and Ralph Lawson on a mission to get everyone dancing.

Roisin Murphy - Very good, kept it upbeat throughout unlike the very disapppointing and overhyped MGMT (albiet I do acknowlege the only have one album to play from).

Fatboy Slim - Did what it says on the tin although far too cheesy- a remix of that shocking H2O tune got played!

Booka Shade- Stunning and a definite highlight of the weekend.

Saturday- Hot Chip- deserved to be headliners on the Other stage. Funny, great tunes and danceable.

Sunday - Midnight Juggernaughts - Excellent tunes, and got the crowd going to boot.

Banco de Gaia - Banging (too much for my legs by Sunday) but good nonetheless.

So on the whole its a big thumbs up for the dance acts I saw, but then I had a feeling it would be. :lol::P:D

Anyone see Beardyman? He's come a long way from the clips on youtube where he won't keep a song going for very long, trying to throw in more beatboxing tricks. Amazing fat bass and banging drum'n'bass. Amazing considering he doesn't have any samples or synths, just a couple of samplers and effects units - and one microphone.

Better cover of Teardrop than that Newton cockhead on the Other Stage too!

"My name is f**king Beardyman!!!"

just to let you all know annie nightingale broadcast the far too loud and slyde sets from the pussy parlure live on her show, and theres a few torrents of it knocking around.

just downloaded it now and its took me right back. just think 1 week ago we wer all going for it! cant believe its that long ago.

thursday was all about cuy copy and far too loud who were amazing. i know i saw slyde and nightingale too but my brain was too frazzled by that point to really know what was going on

friday - count and sinden in the east dance tent were amazing at points, but the f**king mcs ruined it a bit. utah saints were also quality. then booka shade were as awesome as ever. gutted i missed alex metric im such a penis

saturday - saw a trak who was well fun (and technically insane! i doubt any other djs played who were as technically good as he was) but tent was more or less empty and it was about 4pm so no real atmosphere. more people shoulda been there tho! also caught erol alkan who was very good too, started very spacey then went for it. was fun.

sunday - annie mac was on top form. playing really obvious tunes but t was so much fun and the atmosphere was wicked. kissy sell out live was a bit shit. caspa and rusko was so f**king heavy my face almost melted

anyone catch The Whip? I thought they were excellent, felt much more "live" than I had expected. As for the Dance Village itself, I liked the Pussy Parlure as a late-night stop, but I still find the area as a whole a bit too much of a shit hole. Too many people wonder from Other Stage to JPT and vice versa, so Dance Village is a combination of a mass pathway for the indie types and a sanctuary for some the very disturbed people who are there for the DJs. Not that I don't sometimes find that quite charming! Many of the funniest sights are to be found in the wasteland between the East and West tents.