Orange kinetic phone charger

Guest Cheesey

Just found this:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/24/or..._phone_charger/

The Orange Dance Charge is a portable phone charger powered through the

kinetic movement of a system of weighs and magnets, which move as you groove.

The system’s contained within a jogger-style MP3 arm strap, which also contains a

storage battery for holding all the dance-generated energy.

So far, Orange has only developed a limited number of functioning prototype Dance

Charge models, which it’ll be dolling out to a test-bed of dancers at this year’s

Annual Mud Gathering, also known as Glastonbury.

If my physics are correct (and its been a long time since I went to skool); A typical phone battery of 3.5v and 1000ma provides about 3.5wats of power. So to recharge it at 1.5 times the capacity of the battery (due to losses in the recharging process) would require 5.25 watts.

5.25 watts is aprox 4,500 calories you would need to put into the battery alone, that does not include the calories needed to run your body and other activity!

Hate to say this, but it aint going to work too well. :)

If my physics are correct (and its been a long time since I went to skool); A typical phone battery of 3.5v and 1000ma provides about 3.5wats of power. So to recharge it at 1.5 times the capacity of the battery (due to losses in the recharging process) would require 5.25 watts.

5.25 watts is aprox 4,500 calories you would need to put into the battery alone, that does not include the calories needed to run your body and other activity!

Hate to say this, but it aint going to work too well. :)

Guys your maths is off by a factor of a thousand. Calories that we talk about in food are actually kilocalories. Theres plenty enough energy to charge a phone from kinetic energy. Its not effecient (and a wind up system makes far more sense) but its perfectly possible.

Guys your maths is off by a factor of a thousand. Calories that we talk about in food are actually kilocalories. Theres plenty enough energy to charge a phone from kinetic energy. Its not effecient (and a wind up system makes far more sense) but its perfectly possible.
Edited by Cheesey

• 1 year later...