Moving on to Wychwood 09

Guest The Man from Wychwood

Dear All

As we finish off the paperwork for this years festival, and move forward with our happy memories from 2008, we need your artists suggestions! Yes I know a lot of you don't care for the list thing, but we are already starting to speak to artists for the 09 festival, so do let me know your thoughts and desires for 09 in terms of artist programming...remember also that it will be our 5th Birthday, so any suggestions of know you'd like to see return from the previous years festivals, much appreciated too!

Thanks

Graeme

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Graeme,

Thank you for asking. I have a little list (in no particular order of preference):

Steve Cropper

Crowded House

Tinariwen

Sixty (cracking little noisy band from Cardiff way)

Moving Hearts

The Coral

Squeeze

Newton F

Richard Thompson (if it's an electric year)

Ryuichi Sakamoto

Dub Pistols/Terry Hall

Rhod Gilbert (comic)

Pet Shop Boys

Justin Adams & Juldeh Camara

Anyone called Wainwright (except the young lady from two years ago - I prefer not to revisit past pleasures)

Bjork

The Wurzels

John Otway

...and try doing something like the Doghouse programming, only from a new area.

bands requests:

Bellowhead (please please please)

The Men They Couldn't Hang

Alabama 3

Tinariwen

The Levellers (brilliant last year, as ever)

Show of Hands

The Broken Family Band

am I being greedy asking for more?

Comedians:

Rhod Gilbert (Welsh, sexy, from my hometown, very funny)

Bill Bailey

ta x

I'm new to this site and this year was the first time at the festival, a good time was had by all!!!

Looking forward to next year!

Would be great to see any of the following there:

James

Levellers

Nick Cave

Jarvis Cocker

Christians

The Cure

Morcheeba

Massive Attack

Peter Gabriel

Andrea Bocelli

Chumbawamba

Shibusashirzu Orchestra

Sinead O'Connor

Elvis Costello

Roll on 2009!! :lol:

Osibisa (we gonna start this happy vibes ride from the root...)

Christians --oh yes

Rod & Gab --oh yes but no way could Wychy afford them now I`d venture! Its a long flight from Mexico too

OOJAMI

Show of Hands

Jethro Tull

Joe Bonnamassa

Jethro Tull

Jimi Hendrix

Sherman Robertson --great blues

Danny Bryants Red Eye band

Santana (yes --I`m taking the piss now..but...)

Capercaille

Seasick Steve --would bring the place down for sure (imo)

Albert Nybongi and Black Umfoso

Afro Celts --a good Wychwood act

Buddy Guy

The Hamsters

Maybe just a big picture of Jimi Hendrix?

Status Quo --cant say you dont get what it says on the can with them

Kiki Dee

Please-- just a picture of Dufton

Paul Simon

Well, where does one stop?

I often wonder,not having put an event on like this--how exactly do the acts get picked. Obviosly cost is a major factor, availability etc etc.. and then a difference of opinion between the organisers. Must be difficult.

But once again-- we dont give a stuff who`s on... saying that -- 2 fests calsh for us--WOMAD and Maryport --looking at the respective line ups-- no contest for us and we`ll be heading t`lakes for some good old cumbrian sausage n roll.

den

It's easy to suggest bands we have seen before at Wychwood, so I shall refrain from doing that, despite many of them being excellent. Therefore, how about the most excellent Deacon Blue.

as a non-headline act, can I recommend a band called Touchstone who I saw last weekend and were rather good.

As someone, probably oor' mate oop North, said - these threads just end up with everyone showing off their own preferences and it tails off into Dullsville, Arizona!

HOWEVER, that nice chap from offshore put forward 2 PERFECT Wychwood acts - and was backed up by many super knowledgeable folk.

So, it just HAS TO BE

BANCO DE GAIA and KULA SHAKER

Wouldn't it be nice if Young Wychwood Office let us know of an act that was booked directly on a Forummite's

advice....

Edited by marooned

Some really good shouts already but we still have one obvious name to add to the list...

MICHAEL FRANTI AND SPEARHEAD - Friday or Saturday nigt headliners, they would make it a legendary year for Wychwood.

I'm in total agreement with:

Tindersticks

Tinariwen

Banco de Gaia

Alabama 3

Steel Pulse

John Otway

I'd like to add

Kerfuffle

Attila The Stockbroker

John Smith

Stephanie Dosen

Chuck Prohet

Malcolm Middleton

Laura Veirs

Findlay Brown

I'm From Barcelona

Ruth Notman (book her quick before she makes it huge)

Tunng

The Accidental

British Sea Power

The Wedding Present

Jackie Leven

Michael Weston King

I'm sorry but I think Kula Shaker would go the way of the Divine Comedy and just fizzle into nothing on the night. Seen 'em twice and walked away twice.

Idlewild & Michael Franti and Spearhead for headliners please.

Richard Thompson

Chris Mills

Ugly Duckling (bit too different?)

Roots Manuva

DJ Yoda

In response to a couple of posts above, I happen to know that Wayne from Ribbed comedy (who's booked the comedy tent for the last festivals) is a friend of a certain Rhod Gilbert & he's played for him several times :O

Edited by theramm

Some really good shouts already but we still have one obvious name to add to the list...

MICHAEL FRANTI AND SPEARHEAD - Friday or Saturday nigt headliners, they would make it a legendary year for Wychwood.

I'm in total agreement with:

Tindersticks

Tinariwen

Banco de Gaia

Alabama 3

Steel Pulse

John Otway

I'd like to add

Kerfuffle

Attila The Stockbroker

John Smith

Stephanie Dosen

Chuck Prohet

Malcolm Middleton

Laura Veirs

Findlay Brown

I'm From Barcelona

Ruth Notman (book her quick before she makes it huge)

Tunng

The Accidental

British Sea Power

The Wedding Present

Jackie Leven

Michael Weston King

I'm sorry but I think Kula Shaker would go the way of the Divine Comedy and just fizzle into nothing on the night. Seen 'em twice and walked away twice.

Dear All

As we finish off the paperwork for this years festival, and move forward with our happy memories from 2008, we need your artists suggestions! Yes I know a lot of you don't care for the list thing, but we are already starting to speak to artists for the 09 festival, so do let me know your thoughts and desires for 09 in terms of artist programming...remember also that it will be our 5th Birthday, so any suggestions of know you'd like to see return from the previous years festivals, much appreciated too!

Thanks

Graeme

Repeat - The Grate Denini......

See-- this post (and a few others) just epitomises the whole point I have always maintained about "Which bands"....without any offence to this poster --- it is my suggestion that if the above line up was put on--- the poster would be stood very much alone in front of the stage (having a great time though).

I`ve heard of only 4 of their list--they might be great--they might be shite--but it just proves my point that One Mans Vegetarian Burger is another mans Conservative Party.

How Wychwood Mann can take anything from these lists is debatable imo --apart from the massively obvios ones which may crop up-- the rest are simply just personal,whimsical choices of individuals.

Maybe I`m wrong......?

------------------------------------------

Repeat - The Grate Marooned.....

As someone, probably oor' mate oop North, said - these threads just end up with everyone showing off their own preferences and it tails off into Dullsville, Arizona!

------------------------------------------

Yes, Dullsville, Arizona

NEXT - WE'LL BE HAVING THE 'HIGHLY ORIGINAL' WRISTBAND THREAD

Some Saddo(quote) ....itsh been 8 munthss since Witchwould Feshtival and I shstill havint taken off my wrishtband - my mum thinksh I'm being nottier than ever when she sees the culour of it!!!

All valid points but there are two huge differences that set this debate aside from similar ones on other boards.

Firstly, the way that these line-up suggestions jump around in terms of taste is precisely the point - Wychwood IS eclectic - it doesn't trap itself in a cosy niche and that's why we all love it so much. The lists just indicate (to me) the connection between the punters and the organsiers which brings me neatly to my second point...

the Wychwood organisers DO take notice of these forums and they DO respond to personal feedback. There have been artists on the bill who have been the result of this kind of debate in the past so again that's why we feel closer to this festival above many others and that's why these lists (however odd or obscure) are significant.

If the line-up next year doesn't contain a single act that's been mentioned so far I still believe it would be brilliant because the Wychwood team genuinely know what they are doing and care about live music. Job done.

Having some experience of promoting and booking bands through agents, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Tentative enquires with some agents of bands, whilst having a degree of success in their day who have since seen their album/single sales decline, still command fees beyond what one would expect to be reasonable.

I don't think increasing ticket prices or capacity to satisfy agents booking fees would be an answer, after all the reason why the festival is so special is that it has a community feel to it, unlike other festivals most notably Reading/Leeds which is full of aggressive beer boys.

If the band or agent fee prices them out of the budget of the more intimate festivals, then it is their loss.

I'm sure whoever is booked for 2009 will have a great gig and the support of the crowds :O

Having some experience of promoting and booking bands through agents, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Tentative enquires with some agents of bands, whilst having a degree of success in their day who have since seen their album/single sales decline, still command fees beyond what one would expect to be reasonable.

I don't think increasing ticket prices or capacity to satisfy agents booking fees would be an answer, after all the reason why the festival is so special is that it has a community feel to it, unlike other festivals most notably Reading/Leeds which is full of aggressive beer boys.

If the band or agent fee prices them out of the budget of the more intimate festivals, then it is their loss.

I'm sure whoever is booked for 2009 will have a great gig and the support of the crowds :O

Edited by gratedenini

I'm sure whoever is booked for 2009 will have a great gig and the support of the crowds <_<