Favourite acts

Guest Aaron95

Have finally acquired Imagined Village's album, & it is very listenable IMO. Clearly 4 months too late though, they did nothing for me on the night.....

hmmmmnnnn --- i wouldn`t have bought that even with Mr Blues money--so what made you get it after thinking they were shite at the time?

I wonder if i would be the same? They certainly did jack shit for me even though i was in festival mode thee knaas.

den

Think I've just generally discovered folk music. & I'd heard a number of non-Wychwood people lauding them.

Plus it's quite a mixed bunch of musical styles, albeit with folk as the backbone.

Yes-- we went very folky a few years ago-- 1st port of call in HMV would be the Folk / World racks.

One of the beuties of err was it HMV or Virgin--cant remember--you could scan the CD and at least get a flavour of the band... I hated risking 14/15/16 quid or more--getting it home = DUFFER.

One of the pleasures of our lives was to spend an hour or two in there and come out loaded to the gills with CDs.

Dont do it so much now with having the TRIBE to pull around.

I remember we alweays used to get that Radio 2 Folk Nominations of the Year CD --a double--then if any we liked--buy the individual CDs... got into a few bands like that.. however--must say that overall--we aren`t truly folky and some of this "dronin on " stuff y`know--does me knapper in.

Likewise World Music-- by theres some shite stuff out there-- and I`ve bought some of it!

They get a fantastic write up--and yer go and buy it--thinkin yer all --so-fis-tee-cated --- and its shite--but you insist on playing it--esp when friends are round--to impress them with your expansive musical taste/knowledge.. well sorry like-- some of it is shite.

We subscribe to SONGLINES which is a world music mag (recommeneded) and it comers with a free CD which gives a good insight into the World Music scene.

den

There must be some milage to applying group-norm theory to internet forums.

No-one has to agree, I don't of course care...... :lol:

I didn't come across any concerning northeners at Wychwood. Was I being naive?

Womad had Damien Dempsey playing this year, superb Irish nu-folk-rocker. So it can't all be world/tinkle music. But that wouldn't be so bad these days anyway.

...just don't go on their Forum - it's the most Humour-Free Zone I've ever come across.

Nigel posts, Lawrence agrees, Jemimah sits on the same fence as the original poster, George chirps in by agreeing to agree with Lawrence's agreement with Nigel - and so on, and so on.

The Festival however is amazing, especially (despite the mud) at Charlton

One thing for sure, it's ALL world and 'tinkly tinkly' music, so you won't be coming across those 'northerners'

- come to think of it, just WHY do they go to Larmer Tree with it's 'plinky-plonky fest'

:rolleyes:

Better or worse than Cambridge Folk folk? I've not been to that one either, but I hear some of them can be rather precious.

Would it also be worth any milage to collectively infiltrate the WOMAD forums? I'll go register and loiter there, pending agreed plan of infiltration...... :)

---aye --soften em up with yer semi-soft southern lingo--then unleash MOI The Twat From The North.

Den v Womad ....... bets anyone?

...as you would say...... :rolleyes:

...Den, just loiter for a while and talk about accoustica, mixed with African Township, and the slightest hint of hip-hop and Jazz don't you know, with a distant echo of Hendrix and the teensiest nod to Vaughan Williams - then hit them with 'away an'shite man, it's only some miserable tribesman dragging his un-manicured fingernails over some tigers guts'.

That should do the trick - I lasted about three months

Can someone please link us to the WOMAD site please?

Nothing like making it easy for the less energetic of us..... :rolleyes:

www.womadtinklytinklytinawarienmud.puffsville.co.uk

get yersell on TSU--- you`ll fit in a trweat with yer conservative views and cider-sipping chums....

That'd be me then! :rolleyes:

But I'm not gonna comment on yer other comments Den. I'll just say your totally wrong with TSU. he's more left than my left shoe!

:)

BTW, we're going off topic aren't we lads. Can we get back to Fav Acts we enjoyed from this year?

You should be getting some work done! 10.21 am--- doddle job you lot have.Never mind considering bands an that!

I`m off to pulp some coal for the neet...

den