Brilliant Weekend

Guest Splatt

I'll second that. Great mix of music; we really enjoyed (in no particular order) The Epstein, Imagined Village , Kate Rusby, Palladium, 3 Daft Monkeys, Blockheads, Quiet men, Robyn Hitchcock, Orchestra Boabab Chris Letcher and Travelling Band. Comedy was great as well specially Mundo Jazz and Boothby Graffoe (I'm a coward like my Dad behind me! heehee)

Wickwar are a new brewery for me and we did a tour of their full output- top notch stuff.

I've come to the (not very astounding) conclusion that small festivalettes are my favourites and Wychwood is the best one I've been to. We'll be back next year.

Hello to the other twigs we met: the Grate Denini (nice cake) and Harrowstrongbowciderman.

I agree. It was my first Wychwood and I had a fantastic time.

My highlights, in no particular order, were The Proclaimers, The Imagined Village, Kate Rusby, Rachel Unthank and the Winterset, The Divine Comedy, The Epstein, Miles Hunt and Erica Nockalls,The Young Republic and of course the silent disco.

After the rain the previous weekend and during the week the gods were really smiling on us and the good weather made it all the more enjoyable.

Looking forward to hearing the line up for next year.

My only criticism were there weren't enough showers for so many campers so the queues first thing in the morning were a bit long!

We too had a great time, my mate peaked too soon Saturday and missed that night but I have to say thank you to the bloke who made it the funniest of the three, it involved a race fence and a supreme effort and you are my new Hero and Lord of the Course.

It now seems a VERY long time till next year...

I echo all the other posts. Just had a wonderful, wonderful weekend.

All credit to Graeme and the organisers for putting on such a fantastic Festival.

Only thing that went wrong was the Groovy Movie solar-powered cinema suffering a blackout at 1am on the last night... but that's the problem with solar power when the sun don't shine! :lol:

Our group all had a fantastic time. We were a bit too planted in front of the main and Big Top stages, but did a bit of wandering. Bought tix 4 next year last night, and resolve to try more workshops, etc., also catch more comedy. Did see Boothby Graffoe last night - hadn't seen him for nearly 15 years, and still very funny :lol:

Absolutely bloody marvellous. :lol:

I am tired, I smell, I feel rough as f**k but we had a great time, so none of that matters. :lol: Had so many laughs with so many people, and sorry to anyone who we/I may have woken up early on Sunday morning. I may have been a bit, erm... happy. I was around the Mixing Desk at about 7 on Friday but couldn't see anyone loitering with intent so went and got drunk and did some dancin'. I did meet Strongbow Harry man, who recognised me (and my hat mainly I think) from Bearded Theory and don't think I embarrassed myself at all, so that's quite good.

Was also good to see some old friends and some of the refugees from Sunrise, see some great performances - Misty's Big Adventure, Dreadzone and Friday night in the Silent Disco are my top 3 - meet lots of lovely people and get very, very drunk. 2-4-1 frozen Margeritas & 3 Pimm's & Lemonades for 50p were our favourites. And our jellies. :)

Whoever's idea it was to have the drop-off-your-stuff-by-your-preferred-camping-spot-and-then-go-and-park-up is an absolute genius. :)

My only gripes are:

• Don't take the campsite toilets away until after everyone's left. That was a bit annoying this morning.

• Some lighting strung up in the campsite would also have been quite nice, though it was quite spacious anyway and getting about wasn't too treacherous

• The Silent Disco on the Friday was great, great fun, but the DJs needed to change their playlists, or have different DJs on different nights, cos it was all getting a bit repetitive by Day 3.

• An inflatable slide for Adults is required. Though I did manage to get a go on it through some sneaky manoeuvres which nearly got me in trouble. :lol:

Other than those minor things, a lovely little weekend and we'll definitely be back next year. :)

Pabsy77> Was your fence jumper man wearing a blue & white hat, perchance?

Our group all had a fantastic time. We were a bit too planted in front of the main and Big Top stages, but did a bit of wandering. Bought tix 4 next year last night, and resolve to try more workshops, etc., also catch more comedy. Did see Boothby Graffoe last night - hadn't seen him for nearly 15 years, and still very funny :lol:

Just a Big Thankyou Wychwood for a most enjoyable weekend, met lots of wonderful people,

great adult 'slush puppies', and the silent disco was just the best!

.............from a sunrise refugee. :lol:

Edited by MsElf

It was indeed a fabulous weekend, I was with some other Old Gits, and we had a wonderful time. My highlight was being right at the front for the Imagined Village, cannot wait to see them again, they were brillliant. Also enjoyed Dreadzone, Rachel Unthank, the Quiet Men, the improv shows with Steve Frost etc.

More showers would be lovely but it is only for a weekend, so not such a hardship. Also I did not sleep too well knowing that other people had had their tents burgled while they were in there sleeping. Was a bit scary, but I know the police and organisers were doing everything they could to catch the thieves.

Ooh! I was stroking your friend's similar jacket a bit too much on Sunday night. It was very soft and lovely, though. :huh:

You also made my friend temporarily incapable, which was quite amusing to witness. :angry:

I will also heap more praise upon the tequila van, especially when they gave us free booze, sunglasses and hats. :)

Edited by MsElf

My only criticism were there weren't enough showers for so many campers so the queues first thing in the morning were a bit long!

they were the quickest moving shower queues I've ever seen at a fest, so while the queues might have been longer than you wanted they weren't bad all the same.

Although more showers might be good, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much - they're an expensive bit of kit that only get used for a couple of hours each day, so I'm not sure that having more would be financially viable (or they'd require a significant hike in the shower prices).

I really enjoyed the Wychwood Festival, well done guys.

I thought The Blockheads were easily the best band of the whole weekend, followed by Marcus Bonfanti and the Bad boys, The Proclaimers and The Epstein. In fact the variety of acts was quite amazing.

I loved just walking around and seeing what I came across. I did that several times at the main stage as well as accidentally walking into the MC and beat-box workshop and then staying for the whole session! The kids loved the story time sessions (especially the Pirate). Also some of the acts on the Wickwar stage were entertaining. The PA sound from the main stage was amazing - especially up close!!! The parking and driving on site was really useful. The choice of food and drink was excellent, but...

...the worst bits were the price of the food and drink - as a family of four, with two small kids, we spent an absolute fortune because it was often impractical to walk all the way back to the tent or carry food around with us.

Also the programme being in the middle of the booklet and the write-up of acts not particularly easy to find. Also should we have to pay for as many things once on site - the programme (£4), rides (£1 - £2), showers (£2) etc. Reckon there should be some subsidy for 'Full Weekend' wristband holders.

Another negative was with the position of the blue tent. It being out on a limb with nothing else around it, I tended not to visit it unless I wanted a drink without having to queue!!

Also, the Sunday entertainment on the main stage was a bit too laidback and folky - needed a bit more variety like Saturday.

But all in all, a very enjoyable event! We would consider going again next year...

I second that motion !!!

First year for us this year and what a weekend !!!!

:huh:

For me it's the punters that make a Festival and not the music and you lot were just FABULOUS.

I met so many wonderful, wonderful people over the weekend, heard some blinding live performances, danced like a Dervish, drank some fantastic booze ( them iced Tequillas were sublime ), ate some great food ( when I remembered to eat ) and left today with a head chock full to bursting of happy and hilarious memories that will keep me laughing out loud for years.

A big, big thank you as well to everyone who let me take their picture over the weekend.

( I was the guy in the Pink Fluffy jacket :angry: )

Edited by ppmills