stealing!

Guest zoemaphone

Hello!

As a glastonbury virgin, and having heard horror stories about people having EVERYTHING stolen from their tent, I was just wondering what other people's experiences of stealing have been?

I don't plan on bringing anything very valuable, but was just wondering, since a few people have said that I should expect to lose everything and take nothing I care about at all!

Also what's the deal with lock-ups? Are they free? And how much can you put in? And are there big queues? Sorry for all the questions...

THANK YOU :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stealing has become much less of a problem since the arrival of the superfence. don't quote me on this but i think there's generally under a hundred arrests over the weekend for nearly 200,000 people, that's much less than a similar sized town (bath or sunderland) on a typical weekend.

having said that don't take anything thats irreplaceble, your grandad's watch or something. cameras and phones can be insured and replaced if stolen.

there are a few threads already on lockups, try a search for detailed info, but they are free, you can put anything you like in from a wallet to a bike or rucksack. queues will depend on the time you go really, they are open and staffed 24 hours.

enjoy the festival and remember horror stories do happen from time to time so do everything you can to avoid them but remember for the vast majority of people everything will be fine.

Edited by pezzypops

I think the rule is don't take anything you can't afford to loose.

I have never had trouble at Glastonbury (touch wood) However it does happen.

I have had more nicked, stolen or trashed at Reading, but again that was a good few years back.

Make sure you keep your cash on you but split up,

leave the tent in a mess (this was a handy hint from Efest thread, I would buy into that) For me however this is not difficult though! :)

Don't be flash with anything special you have.

Keep some medication (if any) in the car if you came in one.

And use the lock ups for anything too valuable!!

However the main thing is...

Don't worry about your tent whilst you are there! worry about what is the next exciting thing you are going to do!!! :P

You are going to Love it!

Editied becuase I am a nob

Edited by strudders

I been going since 1992 and touch wood even in 2000 my tent wasn't touched (to my knowledge...) really it's about being sensible, all you need to leave in your tent is your clothes and beer/food, get to know your neighbours they'll watch your stuff when they are about and vice versa, anything of value should be put in a small rucksack/stringbag and carried with you, dot your money about your person, some in your pocket some in a wallet/purse some in your rucksack/stringbag if you are arriving in a car leave some dry clothes, a bit of money a cash card and a few beers in the car in case of emergencies, though I am sure there wont be any, ignore your scaremongering friends they are probably jealous they are not going with you! :)

The lock ups are great, I have never seen a queue of longer than about 10 people and all they ask is you make a small donation, so if you want to put your stuff in them it's a good option to.

I've been going since 1983 and only been robbed twice. Both times were in 1999 when theives made away with some booze, my mates binoculars and a pair of shades. That year was actually my favourate festival so it didn't spoil it for me. Our next door neighbours at the time caught someone trying to rob them as they were asleep. They managed to grab the thief and sit on him till the police arrived. He bit one of the police so they gave him a kicking. The police came back later on in the day to say the kid was being held in cell and hes covered himself in his own poo. Nice.

The only other things I've lost is by my own stupidity. Mainly leaving things outside my tent in the night (when you cant see them & forget they are there). Course, when you return in the morning they are gone.

I had my camp fire knicked in 1994 which was a bit strange. Me and a mate had brought loads of logs with us and we had a decent fire going. We went off wandering for an hour and when we returned there was just a few ashes remaining. I have no idea how they managed to knick the whole fire coz it was roasting!!

Your much less likely to get robbed nowadays though and a lot of the fields even have CCTV cameras!! The police also set up tents in such a way to tempt your would-be tent robber who'll get a nasty surprise if they have a go. I wonder if anyone has been nicked for inocently entering one of these tents? A mate of mine slept in someone elses tent a few years back (luckily the owners didn't return all night ). He didn't realise till the morning when he awoke & didn't recognise any of the gear in the tent.

I had my camp fire knicked in 1994 which was a bit strange. Me and a mate had brought loads of logs with us and we had a decent fire going. We went off wandering for an hour and when we returned there was just a few ashes remaining. I have no idea how they managed to knick the whole fire coz it was roasting!!
Edited by Kejoxen

Not had a problem, or really heard of any trouble, since the super-fence went up. I'm sure stealing does go on but seeing as it's virtually impossible to get in the festival without spending £160 on a ticket your average scally isn't going to bother.

Be sensible and follow the advice from the others and you'll be fine. Enjoy!

also camping with groups of people will help if theres more people at your camp the less likely people will be to steal, also hide valuable things in unlikely places. At reading i had my tent completely trashed but they missed the wad of money that was there because i concealed it in a very good place!! enjoy your 1st glastonbury it is an experience like no other!!!

hide valuable things in unlikely places. At reading i had my tent completely trashed but they missed the wad of money that was there because i concealed it in a very good place!!

A friend had her make up and wash bag stolen back in 2002 !

My friend insisted only a women would have knicked it , tampons and all , and not taken anything else !

Could not prove it , but we had a couple of girls behind us , who seemed over keen to chat us and never turned down a cuppa

or a can of beer , I swear as soon as they heard the kettle boil or a tinny being opened they would wander over !

:lol:

i believe that crime is lower at glastonbury than some other festivals, most likely due to the much higher level of security; it's very hard to get inside without a ticket, other festivals I've been to, lots of fence jumpers who only come to rob etc.

Only item I've had knicked was a pair of flip flops from the porch of my tent in 2005...which seems a bit crazy seeing as it was knee deep mud over the whole weekend.

Had camp chairs knicked at V festival few years ago but seeing as half of 'Toxteth' and the shell suit massive from Scouse land attend not really surprising.

never had anything stolen until last year when someone obviously took a fancy to my flag :lol:

Only item I've had knicked was a pair of flip flops from the porch of my tent in 2005...which seems a bit crazy seeing as it was knee deep mud over the whole weekend.

Had camp chairs knicked at V festival few years ago but seeing as half of 'Toxteth' and the shell suit massive from Scouse land attend not really surprising.

Here is a true story from 2003 . We camp in big ground and that year around 8 young scouse lads turned up with a

massive brand new tent and loads of other new stuff such as chairs They did not go see any bands but just did speed

and stella and hung round the tent arguing.

They upset quite a few people with them going at it 24 hours a day , but I found them really funny and made friends

with one of em. Got invited back to the tent. One accused me of being a bizzie but when I told him to shut the f**K

up in my best Yorkshire accent he soon came round.

By saturday morning they were all bored , the young lad came to my tent said they were leaving and that I could have

anything they had left.

The best thing was there 12 man tent , that we christened the "Scouser Tent " - and it did us great for loads of festivals

. We are now on our second and Scouser Tent 2 will be at Glasto and Leeds this year.

To this day I still laugh when I think of them arguing

"I treat you like a brother and you do this to me " - in a deep scouse accent

This went on for hours and I think it was over a spilt can of Stella or something !

That will be them !

So funny - Their constant bickering had me in tears , even at 6.00 am !

No word of lie , they never moved from their tent - Thursday to Saturday.

Personally never had anything taken from my tent and I most have done 40 festivals over the years.

Saying that I can never find anything in it , so lord help anyone elsE. I am the only person to put tent up at Glasto

throw everything in including my Glasto goody bag (with programme )

Then 5 minutes later , when hunting for programme - CAN I LIKE HECK FIND IT !!! B) , then sheepishly

have to ask to borrow one !

At 11.00 am on the Weds its a bit poor is it not !

I've been going since 1983 and only been robbed twice. Both times were in 1999 when theives made away with some booze, my mates binoculars and a pair of shades. That year was actually my favourate festival so it didn't spoil it for me. Our next door neighbours at the time caught someone trying to rob them as they were asleep. They managed to grab the thief and sit on him till the police arrived. He bit one of the police so they gave him a kicking. The police came back later on in the day to say the kid was being held in cell and hes covered himself in his own poo. Nice.

The only other things I've lost is by my own stupidity. Mainly leaving things outside my tent in the night (when you cant see them & forget they are there). Course, when you return in the morning they are gone.

Your much less likely to get robbed nowadays though and a lot of the fields even have CCTV cameras!! The police also set up tents in such a way to tempt your would-be tent robber who'll get a nasty surprise if they have a go. I wonder if anyone has been nicked for inocently entering one of these tents? A mate of mine slept in someone elses tent a few years back (luckily the owners didn't return all night ). He didn't realise till the morning when he awoke & didn't recognise any of the gear in the tent.

If anyone is going to the Big Chill they need to be particularly careful, I was stewarding it last year and we got hundreds of reports of theft because the campsites are almost open to outsiders with hardly any checks and they got done over on a nightly basis by scallies travelling down for a weekend's thieving.