Cricket

greeneyes1980

• 1 month later...

Ansari has just retired from cricket at the age of 25.

"While the timing may come as a surprise, I have always maintained that cricket was just one part of my life and that I have other ambitions that I want to fulfil.  With that in mind, I am now exploring another career, potentially in law, and to achieve this I have to begin the process now. "

He has a double first from Cambridge.

• 1 month later...

Off to Tunbridge Wells inn Sunday for my first live cricket fix of the season. Game looks fairly balanced at the moment. 

Great to see Sangakkara still at it (and against Essex!) in his final season. Will try to pop along to a Surrey game at some point just to see him one last time. A great of the game and excellent to watch. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wondering what the England Test squad will look like - top order wise anyway. Hameed completely out of form in the county game, after having looked really good over in India.

Ballance and Stoneman both making good claims for a spot. Jennings is doing decently but some of the ways he's got out haven't screamed Test opener.

Still marvelling at Sangakkara. Imperious.

Will any of England's middle order play any red ball cricket before the first Test against SA?

Really hoping we can see a fair bit of Wood in the Test team this year, particularly when we go down under.

15 minutes ago, Wagon said:

I very much doubt he'll ever play for England again but Samit Patel is in incredible form!!

82, 257*, 66, 122*, currently 228*

Not a bad run of scores

Still got to the score them but the quality of bowlers faced in CC2 is slightly different to test level. 

13 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Still got to the score them but the quality of bowlers faced in CC2 is slightly different to test level. 

Oh yeah the two can't really be compared, Unless you're facing Notts attack of Broad, Pattinson & Ball haha,

Just over 2 weeks ago I said to a work colleague we should maybe think about moving Patel on, feeling slightly foolish now :rofl:

On 19/06/2017 at 2:19 PM, kaosmark2 said:

Wondering what the England Test squad will look like - top order wise anyway. Hameed completely out of form in the county game, after having looked really good over in India.

Ballance and Stoneman both making good claims for a spot. Jennings is doing decently but some of the ways he's got out haven't screamed Test opener.

Hameed out for a duck for the lions today. 

Ballance has surely used up his chances for now. Stoneman now he's at Surrey will probably get a chance at some point. 

Much as I'm pained to say it, I really like the look of young Dan Lawrence at Essex. 

If Jennings gets a decent score they've got to stick with him in my opinion,

The previous guys have been given a decent run so it's only fair, looks like he's going ok to be fair

I read earlier that Root fancies going back down to 4 now he's captain as well so I wouldn't be surprised to see Ballance back

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Hameed out for a duck for the lions today. 

Ballance has surely used up his chances for now. Stoneman now he's at Surrey will probably get a chance at some point. 

Much as I'm pained to say it, I really like the look of young Dan Lawrence at Essex. 

Yeah. Stoneman currently batting nicely for them as well, I'm expecting him to be given an opportunity now. You're right about fashionable counties though, irritatingly.

Last winter I'd have said Ballance won't be anywhere near the side, but with Root as Test captain, Hameed having an awful season and him averaging north of 100 it seems possible. He didn't deserve the recall last time or do anything to justify it in the Test team.

I'd be surprised if Root doesn't move back to 4.

31 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Jimmy was taking wickets for Lancashire yesterday, looks like he'll be fit.

More importantly he bowled 28 overs in the innings.

Last I heard was Woakes expected back for the Windies.

Is that an update, blow if it is? Last I heard Woakes was likely to miss the first test but would be fit for the 2nd.

Anderson, Broad, Wood, Stokes, Ali. Ball is probably next in line but county form will have an impact.

6 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

More importantly he bowled 28 overs in the innings.

Is that an update, blow if it is? Last I heard Woakes was likely to miss the first test but would be fit for the 2nd.

Yup. Seemingly no worries about Anderson's fitness apart from being an older fast bowler.

Not a recent update, 5 or 6 days ago? I'd heard definitely back for Windies but would be considered for 3rd and 4th tests depending on progress.

15 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Yup. Seemingly no worries about Anderson's fitness apart from being an older fast bowler.

Not a recent update, 5 or 6 days ago? I'd heard definitely back for Windies but would be considered for 3rd and 4th tests depending on progress.

Mmm disappointing. I have tickets for the 2nd and 3rd tests - hoping he at least makes the oval game. 

5 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Mmm disappointing. I have tickets for the 2nd and 3rd tests - hoping he at least makes the oval game. 

I'd been hoping to go to Trent Bridge but neither of my cricket going mates could get the time off work. Was quite gutted, only cricket fixes I'll get this summer will be the occasional hop for Gloucestershire games if the match looks interestingly poised when I've got free afternoons.