Cricket

greeneyes1980

Hell of a 3rd innings, have to match it in the 4th.

Rejig the order for sure, I reckon

Root, Moeen, Stokes, Butler, Bairstow, Bell, Cook would be excellent.

Edit: Word coming out that Stokes and Moeen to open. Happy with that. Butler confirmed. Got to have plenty more.

Edited by kaosmark2

considering how it looked like it was tailing off towards a draw in day 4 it was a great effort. Just a shame they ran out of time due to the light. I suspect Pakistan are the happier of the two with the end result the way they slowed the game down and were pressing about the light as much as possible.

glad Rashid got some wickets in the 2nd innings, as it really was a poor pitch for the first few days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bell dropped, Compton and Ballance recalled. Finn and Wood not fit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/34866711

I feel dropping Bell was due, but if it had come at a previous time he was out of form there'd be far more of a route back for him. As it is, if he's recalled it'll be a short term measure out of poor form and lack of options.

That said, I think Cook, opener, Taylor, Root, Ballance is a nice lineup. I'm still dubious about Hales' suitability to test cricket but whether it's him or Compton they have to be given a good run.

• 1 month later...

Broad absolutely outstanding. Shame about the injury to steyn, particularly for South Africa, but great to see scores from Compton and Taylor. 

Hales frustrating me, but showing the ability to play himself on in this second innings is promising. Just need to see him work through the gears a bit better. Got to give him the Sri Lanka tour imo unless sa lack steyn and philander all series and he struggles. 

I think Jimmy should only play if he's 100%. He'd clearly be an improvement on Woakes but it's not like Woakes was particularly bad, and a run in the side might do him some good.

De Kock is the obvious candidate IMO. Duminy looked completely shot as well. The question of captaincy is who else is there?

19 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Genuinely don't think anyone could do worse for SA. Other than experience, Amla brings nothing. 

True. I was also questioning who else is guaranteed their place in the side, other than ABDV, but thinking about it Elgar could well be worth a shot.