Antisocial behaviour

Guest Teddington

Why don't they just ban them?

Ridiculous this year. Huge Gazebo's erected by narrow minded kn*bheads, only surpassed in their selfishness by their owners taping tents together around them to "deter" people from walking near "their" area.

Suffice to say I made a point of walking to my tent via a Gazebo where possible- if any tape got in my way then that was unfortunate......for the tape.

Seriously, it would be very simple for the site to ban such behaviour- why don't they?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't they just ban them?

Ridiculous this year. Huge Gazebo's erected by narrow minded kn*bheads, only surpassed in their selfishness by their owners taping tents together around them to "deter" people from walking near "their" area.

Suffice to say I made a point of walking to my tent via a Gazebo where possible- if any tape got in my way then that was unfortunate......for the tape.

Seriously, it would be very simple for the site to ban such behaviour- why don't they?

there was alot of that in dairy ground this year - certainly by us.

One group was there just after us about 9am ish and immediately taped off a massive area with about 4 tents - by wednesday night 'their' area was full but as they taped off that much you could of fitted at least 3 tents in the middle of them... i did walk through 'accidentally' on the friday.

In the fine guide they do ask you not to bring gazebos (in fact it's the first point under 'Getting ready'), bring/light Chinese lanterns ('Light my fire') - and I was sure I read something about taping off areas but maybe that was somewhere else - I can't see it now.

I just wish some of these things were enforced a bit more on site...

I don't mind the gazebos. There were only a couple in the field I camped in and with all the varying weather we had I bet people were rather grateful for them at times. Obviously the issue with them is space, but as long as not everyone uses them then I don't think it's that bad.

The taping off areas thing is a bit different though.

When we last camped in Holts we were asked to take our Gazebo down (specifically, the cover, they didn't mind the frame!) - claiming it was to do with CCTV.

Luckily, there wasn't much more rain after then - the random people that had sheltered underneath it during various down pours seem quite grateful I'd put it up. It wasn't blocking any space we didn't already 'have' (it was Thurs I brought it in I think.)

As for taping off areas - well, not everyone WANTS to be actively-social. I like chatting with random people wandering through our camp. If others don't, fair enough to them. I do find it makes it a bit annoying to walk through the campsite - but not only is it very hard to stop, but is considerably less annoying/anti social than flags in front of the stages and people trying to 'block' others through moving through the crown to my mind.

Our neighbours had a smallish gazebo. They let us use it while they were away for both when it was raining and on the Sunday when it was very hot and I felt I wasn't going to make it through (shouldn't have mixed the grape and the grain). When they came back all was pleasant and they didn't even ask for their space back, just their seats as they were knackered. Glasto spirit once again.

There was a group of people by us who went one stage further than taping off their area....they tied together guy ropes from adjacent tents at about waist hight.

Not what you want when trying to find your tent in the pitch dark at 3am!!

That aside, I'm not really against gazebos, at least it guarantees you a little bit of space.

We set up our three tents and left enough space at the entrance for the four of us to sit outside. After we got back from having a walk around on the Wednesday afternoon we got back to find a group of posh teenagers trying to pitch two tents in the small space literally over the corners of our tents. The eventually managed to pitch one, meaning that the only place we had to sit was actually inside one of our tents.

So although I would never do it, I can understand why people tape off their area.

Which is more anti-social? Taping off your area, or pitching your tent in the middle of what is quite obviously someone elses attempt to have a tiny area of communal space?

taping off is much worse...

last year we had someone pitch their tent in the middle of our camp... fair play.

got on well with them and were always up chatting away and went to watch a few bands with them.. i wouldnt have it any other way.

laying claim to an area with tape is a pet peeve of mine, nothing worse than trekking through guy ropes etc only to be confronted by loads of tape etc - its just short of putting up a 'Keep Out' sign which isnt very glastonbury.

Taping off an area, as long as it isn't at a dangerous level, does not stop people walking through. They can easily step over it as they would a guy rope. What stops people walking through is when tents are pitched on top of one another with not even an inch of space for people to walk through. You can step over tape but you can't step over a tent!

One of our party puts some string up to section bits off and it really pisses me off!

Luckily, there was a guy with an Everton top who kept walking through it this year which has made her think again I think. Well done that guy. We were in Dairy, just up from "the White House" which was tents within tents within tents within tents.

One of our party puts some string up to section bits off and it really pisses me off!

Luckily, there was a guy with an Everton top who kept walking through it this year which has made her think again I think. Well done that guy. We were in Dairy, just up from "the White House" which was tents within tents within tents within tents.

Thats where I was - not far from the whitehouse marquee which was ridiculous!

We were about 5 tents in from that tent... down one side of that marquee there was a convenient pathway it has to be said though.. easy for me to reach my tent from that muddy pathway.

you dont mean the tent with the 2 small everton flags ontop of it by any chance do you?

Edited by Leedspete

Both are a no for me. GFL couldn't be clearer; gazebos are not allowed. Taping just looks silly. Fortunately lots of people have pen knives etc at Glasto...

As it happens I didn't really see any taped/fenced off areas this year. I like to think that Eavis walks around in the evening asking them to get off his land!

I don't see what the problem with gazebos is to be honest.

As over 30 of us go together each year. we put the big tents in a circle with the rest satelliting them. We then put a gazebo in the middle where we will be sitting each morning/evening. It can act as shelter from either sun or rain!

This was our gazebo at camp this yr >

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h464/Stuart_Watson/?action=view&current=267950_10150713378825657_798480656_19618608_590710_n.jpg

The campsite crews should do more. There seem to be at least 5 people working on each post during the day. 2 could 'crew' their dedicated campsite area 3-4 times a day, removing tape (a fire hazard), and giving out bin bags/tagging tents where people are being lazy bastards ands not clearing their areas up. Other than pointing people in the right direction, I don't really know what the crews do.

They could also cut all pegged guy ropes off - much more of a danger in a fire as you're less likely to see them (I always use a tent that doesn't need guy ropes for this reason).

While we're at it, they can call security to remove any overly drunk or otherwise intoxicated people and ask everyone to keep their voices down after 10pm ;).

Its debatable for sure, do big groups really have a right to a campsite area anymore than people on their own or in twos and threes sharing a tent? Also there was just some utterly ridiculously sized gazebo's put up, just completely over the top. I don't mind so much when people leave a space so people can get through but the amount of people tying guy lines around the porchs and other ways of stoping people passing ughh. Its not even a social thing , just would be nice to be able to walk out a decent route.

The thign that bothers me are the gazeebos taking up masses of round round the paths of the pyramid. it means anyone behind who ahs made an effort to get a good spot is completely blocked by a gazeebo. it is incredibly selfish. More so than those who bring them in normally. Most of these people also put up some sort of barrier at the front too.

If any of you are reading this, then from me, and my friends.... you are selfish twats.