Hurricane 2010

Guest Squig

Line Up: Archive Beatsteaks Bigelf Boys Noize Deichkind Dendemann Does It Offend You, Yeah? Donots Dropkick Murphys Element Of Crime Enter Shikari Faithless Florence and the Machine Frittenbude Horse the Band Hot Water Music Ignite Jack Johnson Jennifer Rostock K's Choice Katzenjammer La Roux LaBrassBanda LCD Soundsystem Madsen Mando Diao Massive Attack Moneybrother Phoenix Porcupine Tree Revolverheld Shout Out Louds Skunk Anansie Stone Temple Pilots The Gaslight Anthem The Prodigy The Strokes The Temper Trap The XX Two Door Cinema Club White Lies

In Scheeßel, between Bremen, Hamburg and Hanover, Germany. 18th to 20th of June, 120€

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Atmosphere is good or very good I'd say, and, I don't want to be boasting, but the people that gave Oktoberfest to the world surely knows how to have a good time. I haven't heard complains from people with other nationalities. Dealing is not allowed and will be prosecuted, but smoking in geneal is possible, just don't do it next to a policeperson. If you go there by car there are random checks though, and those are thorough.

Atmosphere is good or very good I'd say, and, I don't want to be boasting, but the people that gave Oktoberfest to the world surely knows how to have a good time. I haven't heard complains from people with other nationalities. Dealing is not allowed and will be prosecuted, but smoking in geneal is possible, just don't do it next to a policeperson. If you go there by car there are random checks though, and those are thorough.

Hey can anyone help me, Ive got my heart set on going southside but this will be my first festival and im not entirely sure of the best way to get there, i have read over the previous posts but my geography is terrible and i just have NO idea how to go about it! Any advice would be really appreciated! :P

first: the festival is out in the nowhere....

i would suggest travelling by train to tuttlingen. from there you can get a bus or a taxi to the festival ground.

easiest way is flying to a town near tuttlingen, depends from where you will fly/cheap companies. i'm travelling from zurich to the festival, this is easy by car or by train. or german town nearby is stuttgart.

chilled atmosphere at the southside festival and - for me - this year's line up of the year. i love it.

Thanks yeah the line up looks too good to miss out on , my sister is going download and she said she would be green with envy if i went to this xD ive been having a look and since im all the way in the southwest of the uk its gonna be pretty pricey but im not too bothered just gotta check with the mister and see if he is up for it :P

Hurricane has the same line up and is much easier (and cheaper) accessible from the Uk since there are more airports around that cheap carriers fly to. Also, getting there by train is appearantly easier. Of course the weather is a bit worse, but it's the bigger, more prestigous of the two. Plus all the Scandinavian (women) go there, which is a big plus.

• 2 weeks later...

New bands as of today:

Biffy Clyro, Frank Turner, Cymbals Eat Guitars and Cosmo Jarvis.

As well as a 4th stage, called white stage (the other stages are green (main), blue (2nd) and red (tent). The white stage will be a tent as well, nicknamed 'electric circus', with variety, comedy and that stuff until 9, from then until 2 electronic music: Boys Noize, Frittenbude (already known) + Mr. Oizo, The Bloody Beetroots Deathcrew 77, Erol Alkan, Bratze and FM Belfast.

for southside, fly to memmingen with ryanair as its dirt cheap. then from there you can get a train ticket for 5 people for 30 euro that goes to tuttlingen. it requires one stopover and is about 2 hours, but german trains are scarily reliable and on time.

for hurricann, last year i flew to lubeck, but hamburg wouldve been better, from there its 45-60 mins on the train and you can get a simiar train ticket. if you get there early enough on the thursday you can buy pretty much every bit of food and drink you need in scheessel and get a taxi to the campsite carpark (still a bit of a walk left)for less than €10, there you can give locals acouple of quid and theyll bring your stuff down for you though. Very relaxed and laidback atmosphere, only 3 stages so few clashes and its timetabled very well.

weather for hurricane is unpredictable, there were some pretty big floods at it in 2006or07, though it was a freak incident, it rained hard for about 2 hours most morning last year, but never got muddy and dried out within an hour of the sun coming out, learn a bit of german too, even if they all have great english

i think it they the best lineup of any festivals ive thus far seen, but noone will go to southside

for southside, fly to memmingen with ryanair as its dirt cheap. then from there you can get a train ticket for 5 people for 30 euro that goes to tuttlingen. it requires one stopover and is about 2 hours, but german trains are scarily reliable and on time.

That ticket is called Niedersachsenticket, you can certainly just get it at every ticket machine, also for singel persons, but then just a return ticket should be cheaper. You can also just get that one at a ticket machine at the station... Another option is just to get a group ticket and then wait for other festivalgoers who don't have one yet at the main station and have them give you a bit of cash... usually works out pretty well.

You can also fly to Bremen (Ryanair, Easyjet) and Hanover (Air Berlin, Germanwings), both are closer to Scheeßel than Lübeck and have cheaper flights than there are to Hamburg. Other reasonable options would be Paderborn, Osnabrück/Münster and Dortmund, albeit being more remote and a bit further away.

From H and HB a Niedersachsen ticket will also be fine, both have direct train connections, from the other airports you'd also need a NRW (Nordrheinwestfalen)ticket and have to change a few trains.

I thought it was called a lander ticket, but theyre for use in each of the regions. So even though memmingen is not in baden-wittenburg where tuttlingen is, it is included in the service. You can get them in the train stations, a homeless person pointed it out to us last year saving us money, which we proceded to just give to him.

2 weeks ago it was letting me book them on bahn.de but not now for some reason

Niedersachsen (lower Saxony), Nordrheinwestfalen (Northrhine-Westfalia) and Baden Würtemberg are among the 16 states (Länder) of Germany, so you got it right. Bremen and Hamburg both are states of their own, but the Niedersachsenticket is valid there regardless.

I'll try to book other tickets today and will let you know how that worked out and what is wrong with bahn.de

Niedersachsen (lower Saxony), Nordrheinwestfalen (Northrhine-Westfalia) and Baden Würtemberg are among the 16 states (Länder) of Germany, so you got it right. Bremen and Hamburg both are states of their own, but the Niedersachsenticket is valid there regardless.

I'll try to book other tickets today and will let you know how that worked out and what is wrong with bahn.de

I dunno yet completely whether I'll go or not, but I have been the last 5 years. If I go I am sure there will be more internationals again with me like the last two years (last year 2 Americans and one Brazlian who was first travelling just by himself, but we invited him to camp and party with us and that worked out great. The year before 3 Italians, one Aussie and a South African guy... so albeit being German we are pretty welcoming). So if I go you could just join us I reckon... but, as I said, nothing is set in stone yet, the line up does not really make me happy, and money is tight as well.