The Springsteen Warm-Up Thread

Guest Jens Wildman

"This music is forever for me. It's the stage thing, that rush moment that you live for. It never lasts, but that's what you live for. "

- Bruce Springsteen

There has been many Springsteen-threads here since the rumour of him headlining Saturday started, and most of them spinning way off topic. So, I thought I should make a proper one focusing on the music.

I will run through all of his albums chronologically. It may take some time, but I will add a album every now and then.

So, when it comes to his music, it`s a bit a hard to define the "Springsteen-sound". Most of those who are unfamiliar with his music associates him with the bombastic patriotic flag waving sound of Born In The USA (84) (the song is actually critical statment on the treatment of the Vietnam vet`s, Born In The USA is screamed out in anger and frustration, not in triumph), which lays in sharp contrast to the bar bone acoustic release of Nebraska (82) or the folksy, jazzy and boardwalkish The Wild, the Innocent and The E-Street shuffle (73). For those who are familiar with his albums and his live performances, I think it`s safe to say that it is his live-sound that truly defines him. A sound that for some reason have remained much more consistent then the style and sound of his album-releases. The curious thing about his catalogue is the wide spread of styles, production and themes, but yet, live songs from the early days of the 70s` goes hand in hand with newer releases when performed live. If there is a genius to Springsteen it might be just that, never to repeat the same album twice and the exceptional quality to rearrange his songs to keep them fresh and vibrant.

You have the albums, and the live relases. Some are great, and some are, well, not so great. Which of the albums who are what, should be up to you to decide. But I think most fans would put; Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge of Town, The River, Nebraska and The Wild, The Innocent and The E-Street Shuffle high up on their list.

Then you have the bootlegs. To talk about the Springsteen canon and exclude the bootlegs would be like talking about Egypt with out the pyramids. He is one of the most widely bootlegged artist. There is so many great recording that have surfaced free to everyone thanks to Internet. Some are radio broadcasts, some are soundboards and some are audience recordings. Many of these boots have been remasterd/upgraded by fans with access to professional equipment so the sound quality is excellent, given that it is a boot. In my opinion the best bootlegs blows away most of the albums and live-releases, both in performance and in tracklisting. Another reason why his bootlegs are considered essential is that many of his songs aren't given justice on the album track (Springsteen have on numours occations said that he never got the studio recordings 100% right). While some songs are raw and gritty and filled with passion on the boot, the song`often comes of a bit more daft and calculated on the record (especially the Darkness On The Edge Of Town album). I will therefore add a few great boots taken from the tour supporting the album.

On 2nd. page of the thread, after the albums, I`l put up a top 10 boot list with download links (which is free and legal).

Free listening to pretty much what ever you want on:

http://listen.grooveshark.com and http://www.spotify.com/en/

Some good links:

Biography: Wikipedia

The Bruce Springsteen mp3 Bootleg Index

Edited by Jens Wildman

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Released: Jan 5, 1973

Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.

- It's so hard to be a saint when you're just a boy out on the street

Cover

Track list:

1) Blinded By The Light

2) Growin' Up

3) Mary Queen Of Arkansas

4) Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?

5) Lost In The Flood

6) The Angel

7) For You

8) Spirit In The Night

9) It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City

A good review

Two boots:

03/02/1973 - Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, CA

Download

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WC8VR27R

LOST IN THE FLOOD (start cut)(4.57)/ SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT (4.58 )/ CIRCUS SONG (4.48 )/ BISHOP DANCE (4.01)/ DOES THIS BUS STOP? (5.13)/ BLINDED BY THE LIGHT (5.30)/ THUNDERCRACK (10.43) ANNOUNCEMENTS

ONE show, 8PM, double bill, with Springsteen opening for headliners BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS. Ironically Bill Graham, who'd nearly signed Bruce/Steel Mill 3 years earlier, orchestrated this concert. The above-mentioned setlist derives from an excellent quality soundboard recording that began circulating in the mid-1990's. Given Bruce's restricted performing time as the opening act, the circulating audio is likely to represent the complete performance. The circulating audio is missing the opening seconds of "Lost In The Flood".

04/24/1973 - The Main Point, Bryn Mawr, PA

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0M748463

Set List: New York Song / Circus Story / Spirit In The Night / Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street? / Hey Santa Anna / Tokoyo / Thundercrack

Notes: Broadcast on WMMR radio in Philadelphia, PA, this show highlights some of Bruce's early stories, including the hilarious draft avoidance story and the Ducky Slattery's "Wanna buy a duck?" story.

Greetings on Youtube

1. Blinded by the light - original version

Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat

In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat

With a boulder on my shoulder feelin' kinda older I tripped the merry-go-round

With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground

Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot snappin' his fingers clappin' his hands

And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand

And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand

And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers daddy's within earshot save the buckshot turn up the band

1. Blinded by the light - Seeger Session version - Live in Dublin 2006

- Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun

Oh but mama that's where the fun is

2. Growing up - Max's Kansas City, NY 1972

- when they said "Sit down" I stood up. Ooh-ooh growin' up

Edited by Jens Wildman

Released: Sept 11, 1973

The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle

- This boardwalk life for me is through, You know you ought to quit this scene too

Cover

Full story on the album on wikipedia here

A nice review by William Ruhlmann, Allmusic

Tracklist

Side one

1."The E Street Shuffle" – 4:31

2."4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" – 5:36

3."Kitty's Back" – 7:09

4."Wild Billy's Circus Story" – 4:47

Side two

1."Incident on 57th Street" – 7:45

2."Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" – 7:04

3."New York City Serenade" – 9:55

The clips:

1.The E Street Shuffle - pt. 1 Live at Hammersmith Odeon, 1975

Now those E Street brats in twilight duel flash like phantoms in full star stream

Edited by Jens Wildman

Released: Aug 25, 1975

Born To Run

I want to know if love is wild, girl I want to know if love is real

Wikipedia on Born To Run

Review by Pitchfork Mark Richardson

Side one

1. Thunder Road – 4:49

2. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out – 3:11

3. Night – 3:00

4. Backstreets – 6:30

Side two

1.Born to Run – 4:31

2.She's the One – 4:30

3.Meeting Across the River – 3:18

4.Jungleland – 9:36

End-part of "The making of Born To Run"

Edited by Jens Wildman

Released: June 2, 1978

Darkness on the Edge of Town

- this ain't no dream we're living through tonight

Side one

1."Badlands" 4:01

2."Adam Raised a Cain" 4:32

3."Something in the Night" 5:11

4."Candy's Room" 2:51

5."Racing in the Street" 6:53

Side two

1."The Promised Land" 4:33

2."Factory" 2:17

3."Streets of Fire" 4:09

4."Prove It All Night" 3:56

5."Darkness on the Edge of Town" 4:30

Review of Darkness on The Edge of Town by Rolling Stones

Wikipedia: Darkness On The Edge Of Town

My Coments: Darkness on the Edge of Town, his best overall album in my opinion. Sadly, he didn't nail the studio recording of the songs. On the album they come across a bit daft, they are just not raw and gritty enough. Badlands, Darkness on The Edge of Town, Adams Raised A Cain and Racing In The Streets comes across with thumbs up, but The Promised Land, Candy's Room, Factory and especially Streets of Fire and Prove it all night are not given justice at all. Luckily "The Darkness Tour" might be the best recorded tour of his career. So whenever I`m in the mood for some darkness, I turn to fantastic bootlegs from this tour. In my opinion these boot shows Bruce in his prime, a peak he might have touched far and between, but not in such a consecutive run as The Darkness Tour. Five of his concerts from this tour where broadcasted live on the radio, and therefore we are left with high quality bootlegs. They are almost as good as any official live release soundwise, performancewise these boot`s blow most of everything away. The five broadcasts are known as "the fabulous five". Below I have linked up two of them for your convenience. I recommend both of them, but the Passaic one is the one I would start with. On both of them you can hear Springsteen performing with the passion that has created the myth of him being one of the best live acts ever. A little point to bare in mind is that after Born To Run came out, Bruce got stuck in a 3 year legal twist with Mike Appel (his former manager) about the right`s to his music. It is believed that very much of his frustration with this poured into the Darkness on the Edge of Town album and the tour.

In addition to the great bootlegs from this period there are excellent video`s circulating. Most famous and in very good ( most of the time) black and white quality is the Passaic 19.9.1978 recording. The reason this recording exist is that the Passaic concert was the first time Springsteen had big screen`s on each side of the stage. A very smart man decided to record the video stream, even do he was told not to. For years this film was circulating with out sound, but eventually got dubbed with the radiobroadcast. The version of the concert I have linked up below is without any sync problems. There also exist decent video-recordings from Landover, Phoenix and Agora. It is believed that the whole of the Winterland concert was shot professionally and are to be released in near future by Sony.

------------------------------- Bootlegs----------------------------------------

All boots copyed from: The Bruce Springsteen mp3 Bootleg Index

09/19/1978 Capital Theatre, Passaic, NJ (A TOP 55 SHOW)

Download all 3 disks and artwork:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MF4H9V0M

Set List: Badlands / Streets Of Fire / Spirit In The Night / Darkness On The Edge Of Town / Independence Day / Promised Land / Prove It All Night / Racing In The Street / Thunder Road / Meeting Across The River / Jungleland / Kitty's Back / Fire / Candy'S Room / Because The Night / Point Blank / Not Fade Away - She's The One / Backstreets / Rosalita / 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy) / Born To Run / 10th Ave Freeze Out / Detroit Medley / Raise Your Hand

Notes (by Backstreets): When you start collecting, definitely consider starting with this one. It was broadcast on WNEW in New York city, and it sounds incredible, probably as good as any official release. Rare versions of "Kitty's Back" and "Meeting Across the River" only add to the desireability of this show. Hearing "Sandy" and knowing hundreds of people along the Jesey Shore were listening to the broadcast as it happened is almost magical. During the broadcast, you couldn't walk anywhere on the Rutgers University campus and not hear this show. Available on the incredible CDs "Passaic Night" and "Piece de Resistence." Video footage is also circulating.

DVD Proshot - Passaic, NJ - September 19, 1978 - 3 DVD NTSC set - Masked and redubbed

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Downlad DVD as torrent on:

As seeded on dime and Jungleland

http://jungleland.dnsalias.com/torrents-details.php?id=29312

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=167741

Be prepared - the original source was the black and white video shown in the monitors of the hall. The video fidelity is less than stellar sometimes. But the performance is off the charts. If you don't have the Miles Hai remaster, or don't have this at all, you really do need it.

Artwork and original notes (from ABMS) included.

------

12/15/1978 - Prodigal Son At Winterland, San Francisco, CA (A TOP 55 SHOW)

Download entire show (250+ mb)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R98G47S0

Set List: Badlands / Streets Of Fire / Spirit In The Night / Darkness On The Edge Of Town / Factory / Promised Land / Prove It All Night / Racing In The Streets / Thunder Road / Jungleland / The Ties That Bind / Santa Claus / Fever / Fire / Candy's Room / Because The Night / Point Blank / Mona - She's The One / Backstreets / Rosalita / Born To Run / Detroit Medley / 10th Avenue Freeze Out / Raise Your Hand / Quarter To Three

Notes by Backstreets: Broadcast on KSAN in San Francisco, CA. The stretch run of the Darkness tour featured several differences from early in the tour, most notably Bruce's regular inclusion of "The Fever" and "Point Blank," as well as opening the second set with "The Ties That Bind." This show is another nomination for greatest show of all time, and another show with which you should start your collection. The performances of "Prove It All Night," "The Promised Land," and "Backstreets" are some of the best of all time. It was first released on CD by Great Dane Records as "Live in the Promised Land," and then Crystal Cat released their version called "Winterland Night," and the remasterer extraodinaire Prodigal Son released his version called "Prodigal Son at Winterland."

It should also be noted that this show was another of the early vinyl bootlegs, also called "Live in the Promised Land," but the source tape was from the broadcast and does not include the last two songs. By this time, Bruce knows that radio broadcasts really help the bootleg industry, and he dedicates "Racing in the Street" to all the guys on Kingsley and Ocean Avenues (along the Jersey Shore) who will hear this show "through the magic of bootlegging." This was Bruce's last radio broadcast until July 3, 1988.

The clips:

1. Badlands, Live in Barcelona

But there's one thing I know for sure girl

I don't give a damn

For the same old played out scenes

I don't give a damn

For just the in betweens

Honey, I want the heart, I want the soul

I want control right now

talk about a dream

Try to make it real

you wake up in the night

With a fear so real

Spend your life waiting

for a moment that just don't come

Well, don't waste your time waiting

Badlands, you gotta live it everyday

Edited by Jens Wildman

Released: Oct 10, 1980

The River

- To settle back is to settle without knowing

Wikipedia - The River

"Originally, the album was going to be a single set entitled The Ties That Bind and released in late 1979, but Springsteen decided it was "too pop" and added darker material after he'd written "The River". Indeed, The River became noted for its mix of the frivolous next to the solemn. This was intentional, and in contrast to Darkness, for as Springsteen said during an interview, "Rock and roll has always been this joy, this certain happiness that is in its way the most beautiful thing in life. But rock is also about hardness and coldness and being alone ... I finally got to the place where I realized life had paradoxes, a lot of them, and you've got to live with them."

Track List

Side one

1."The Ties That Bind" – 3:34

2."Sherry Darling" – 4:03

3."Jackson Cage" – 3:04

4."Two Hearts" – 2:45

5."Independence Day" – 4:50

Side two

1."Hungry Heart" – 3:19

2."Out in the Street" – 4:17

3."Crush on You" – 3:10

4."You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)" – 2:37

5."I Wanna Marry You" – 3:30

6."The River" – 5:01

Side three

1."Point Blank" – 6:06

2."Cadillac Ranch" – 3:03

3."I'm a Rocker" – 3:36

4."Fade Away" – 4:46

5."Stolen Car" – 3:54

Side four

1."Ramrod" – 4:05

2."The Price You Pay" – 5:29

3."Drive All Night" – 8:33

4."Wreck on the Highway" – 3:54

Essential "The River Bootleg":

Title: As Dreams Don't Mean Nothing - A Night For The Vietnam Veterans

'Label': Ev2

Format: 3CD

Source: Audience

Date: August 20, 1981

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FOBVSHGC

Set List: Who'll Stop The Rain / Prove It All Night / The Ties That Bind / Darkness On The Edge Of Town / Johnny Bye Bye / Independence Day / Trapped / Two Hearts / Out In The Street / Promised Land / The River / This Land Is Your Land / Badlands / Thunder Road / Hungry Heart / You Can Look But You Better Not Touch / Ramrod / Cadillac Ranch / Sherry Darlin' / Jole Blon / Wreck On The Highway / Racing In The Street / Candy's Room / Ramrod / Rosalita / Jungleland / Ballard Of Easy Rider / Born To Run / Detroit Medley (including You Can't Sit Down, Sweet Soul Music, & Shake) / Twist And Shout

Notes by backstreets: Possibly the most emotional show of Bruce's career, this benefit show starts with an introduction by Bobby Mueller, a disabled Vietnam veteran, and several band members reportedly had tears in their eyes when they started "Who'll Stop the Rain?," Credence Clearwater Revival's song about the Vietnam conflict. Bruce himself was overcome with emotional during "The River" and stopped singing at one point. This show features the one and only performance of "Ballad of Easy Rider." For years, this show was available in only mediocre quality, but an outstanding audience tape was finally located in 2001.

THE CLIPS

THE RIVER disc 1

1. The Ties That Bind (Lost Masters Collection 1979/80)

Cheap romance, it's all just a crutch

You don't want nothin' that anybody can touch

You're so afraid of being somebody's fool

Not walkin' tough baby, not walkin' cool

You walk cool, but darlin', can you walk the line

And face the ties that bind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZTNnTrMX6g...feature=related

2. Sherry darling

Your Mamma's yappin' in the back seat

Tell her to push over and move them big feet

Every Monday morning I gotta drive her down to the unemployment agency

Well this morning I ain't fighting tell her I give up

Tell her she wins if she'll just shut up

But it's the last time that she's gonna be ridin' with me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQvbuYcJgkE...feature=related

Jackson Cage

Every day ends in wasted motion

Just crossed swords on the killing floor

To settle back is to settle without knowing

The hard edge that you're settling for

Because there's always just one more day

And it's always gonna be that way

Little girl you've been down here so long

I can tell by the way that you move you belong to

Edited by Jens Wildman

Nebraska

- Still at the end of every hard earned day, people find some reason to believe

After releasing The River in 1980, Springsteen stood in 82` on the verge of becoming the biggest rock`n roll act in the world, he released a homemade acoustic demo..!

album-Bruce-Springsteen-Nebraska.jpg

newsRockHallTeac.jpg

Initially, Springsteen recorded demos for the album at his home with 4-track cassette recorder (see pitcure above) . The demos were sparse, using only acoustic guitar, electric guitar (on "Open All Night"), harmonica, and Springsteen's voice.

Springsteen then recorded the album in a studio with the E Street Band. However, he and the producers and engineers working with him felt that a raw, haunted folk essence present on the home tapes was lacking in the band treatments, and so they ultimately decided to release the demo version as the final album. Complications with mastering of the tapes ensued because of low recording volume. But the problem was overcome with sophisticated noise reduction techniques.

Springsteen fans have long speculated whether Springsteen's full-band recording of the album, nicknamed Electric Nebraska, will ever surface (in a 2006 interview, manager Jon Landau said it was unlikely and that "the right version of Nebraska came out").[1] Somewhat different band arrangements of most of these songs were heard on the 1984-1985 Born in the U.S.A. Tour and have been played in various guises ever since.

Full story - wikipedia

Review by William Ruhlmann

There is an adage in the record business that a recording artist's demos of new songs often come off better than the more polished versions later worked up in a studio. But Bruce Springsteen was the first person to act on that theory, when he opted to release the demo versions of his latest songs, recorded with only acoustic or electric guitar, harmonica, and vocals, as his sixth album, Nebraska. It was really the content that dictated the approach, however. Nebraska's ten songs marked a departure for Springsteen, even as they took him farther down a road he had been traveling previously. Gradually, his songs had become darker and more pessimistic, and those on Nebraska marked a new low. They also found him branching out into better developed stories. The title track was a first-person account of the killing spree of mass murderer Charlie Starkweather. (It can't have been coincidental that the same story was told in director Terrence Malick's 1973 film Badlands, also used as a Springsteen song title.) That song set the tone for a series of portraits of small-time criminals, desperate people, and those who loved them. Just as the recordings were unpolished, the songs themselves didn't seem quite finished; sometimes the same line turned up in two songs. But that only served to unify the album. Within the difficult times, however, there was hope, especially as the album went on. "Open All Night" was a Chuck Berry-style rocker, and the album closed with "Reason to Believe," a song whose hard-luck verses were belied by the chorus even if the singer couldn't understand what it was, "people find some reason to believe." Still, Nebraska was one of the most challenging albums ever released by a major star on a major record label.

Track listing

1) "Nebraska" - 4:32

2) "Atlantic City" - 4:00

3) "Mansion on the Hill" - 4:08

4) "Johnny 99" - 3:44

5) "Highway Patrolman" - 5:40

6) "State Trooper" - 3:17

7) "Used Cars" - 3:11

8) "Open All Night" - 2:58

9) "My Father's House" - 5:07

10) "Reason to Believe" - 4:11

Original version

Nebraska

They declared me unfit to live said into that great void my soul'd be hurled

They wanted to know why I did what I did

Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world

Edited by Jens Wildman

Released: October 2, 2007

Magic

- Trust none of what you hear

Essential bootlegs:

The Gothenburg bootleg is a stellar boot both performance wise and with clear instrument separation. The sound is even better in loose less format. The show also has a great set list, where a unexpected Drive All Night performance might just by the highlight. It was the first time since 1981 he performed the song.

San Jose is also highly regarded and many prefer this one. It is argued that San Jose is more "true" to the Magic tour than Gothenburg, since the whole tour took a different direction after Dannys death and the sign thing got incorporated more and more in to the show.

Gothenburg, Sweden 5 July 2008, Ullevi

Crystal Cat Records 909-911

Includes jpeg scans of front and back

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8YPYSIZL

cd1

Intro/Night /No Surrender /Lonesome Day /Hungry Heart /Summertime Blues /The Promised Land /Backstreets /Roulette /Darkness on the Edge of Town /Janey, Don't You Lose Heart /Waitin' on a /Sunny Day /Working on the Highway /Because the Night /She's the One

cd2

Livin' in the Future /Mary's Place /I'm on Fire /Drive All Night /The Rising /Last to Die /Long Walk Home /Badlands /Girls in Their Summer Clothes

cd3

Thunder Road /Born to Run /Bobby Jean /American Land /Twist and Shout /Tunnel of love 2/8 -08 /

Little latin lupe lu 2/8 -08 /Who´ll stop the rain 2/8 -08 /Youngstown 2/8 -08 /Murder Incorporated 2/8 -/I´m going down 2/8 -08 /Souls of the departed 27/4 -08 /Wild Billy´s circus story 27/7 -08

Prodigal Son in the San Jose Matrix

Saturday April 5, 2008

HP Pavilion

San Jose, CA

A nice review here, update in bottom of review

Downalod the full show:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HP40ABID

Set list:

Intro /Out in the Street /Radio Nowhere /Lonesome Day /Gypsy Biker /Something in the Night /Magic /Trapped /Reason to Believe /Prove It All Night /She's the One /Livin' in the Future /The /Promised Land /Fire /Incident on 57th Street /Devil's Arcade /The Rising /Last to Die / Long Walk Home /Badlands /Detroit Medley /Born to Run /Glory Days /Bobby Jean /American Land

Edited by Jens Wildman

Bootlegs

All boots taken from the Backstreet MP3 Boot index

1. 09/19/1978 Capital Theatre, Passaic, NJ (A TOP 55 SHOW)

Part 1 (discs 1 and 2)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D07KG5OM

Part 2 (disc 3)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YLMONZEM

Set List: Badlands / Streets Of Fire / Spirit In The Night / Darkness On The Edge Of Town / Independence Day / Promised Land / Prove It All Night / Racing In The Street / Thunder Road / Meeting Across The River / Jungleland / Kitty's Back / Fire / Candy'S Room / Because The Night / Point Blank / Not Fade Away - She's The One / Backstreets / Rosalita / 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy) / Born To Run / 10th Ave Freeze Out / Detroit Medley / Raise Your Hand

Notes from Backstreet MP3 index: When you start collecting, definitely consider starting with this one. It was broadcast on WNEW in New York city, and it sounds incredible, probably as good as any official release. Rare versions of "Kitty's Back" and "Meeting Across the River" only add to the desireability of this show. Hearing "Sandy" and knowing hundreds of people along the Jesey Shore were listening to the broadcast as it happened is almost magical. During the broadcast, you couldn't walk anywhere on the Rutgers University campus and not hear this show. Available on the incredible CDs "Passaic Night" and "Piece de Resistence." Video footage is also circulating.

Interesting soundcheck as well. "The Ties That Bind" is radically different version than the released version and the one played later on the Darkness tour. A tape of the souncheck is also circulating.

A special listen:

"The Way It Was - 9/19/1978"

Bruce Springsteen

Capital Theatre, Passaic, NJ

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BLP7ADF1

This is the original UNEDITED FM broadcast from WNEW-FM that night, including all the station breaks, DJ chat, and a halftime interview with WNEW DJ Vin Scelsa. DJ's Richard Neer and Pat Dawson anchored the show for WNEW and also for the East Coast radio network, which included many other stations in New England and the mid-Atlantic.

The show is presented in it's entirety and in sequence - the chat and interview are played during the between-sets break.

The original source tapes were recorded on a Teac cassette recorder using Dolby B encoding and a dbx compressor. Playback on a Sony cassette deck through the same dbx for expansion, then to the PC at 16 bit/44.1khz.

Volume normalization with Adobe Audition, Track spilts and FLAC conversion using CD-WAVE.

Because of the cassette source, you will hear the occasional tape flip, which is not intrusive except missing the first couple of seconds of "Not Fade Away".

NO EQUALIZATION or PROCESSING OF ANY KIND was used on these tapes, other than

raising the levels to maximum before clipping.

Please DO NOT attempt to re-master this tape in any way - the idea is to present the show as originally recorded, without adjustment.

12/15/1978 - Prodigal Son At Winterland, San Francisco, CA (A TOP 55 SHOW)

Entire show (250+ mb)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R98G47S0

Set List: Badlands / Streets Of Fire / Spirit In The Night / Darkness On The Edge Of Town / Factory / Promised Land / Prove It All Night / Racing In The Streets / Thunder Road / Jungleland / The Ties That Bind / Santa Claus / Fever / Fire / Candy's Room / Because The Night / Point Blank / Mona - She's The One / Backstreets / Rosalita / Born To Run / Detroit Medley / 10th Avenue Freeze Out / Raise Your Hand / Quarter To Three

Notes: Broadcast on KSAN in San Francisco, CA. The stretch run of the Darkness tour featured several differences from early in the tour, most notably Bruce's regular inclusion of "The Fever" and "Point Blank," as well as opening the second set with "The Ties That Bind." This show is another nomination for greatest show of all time, and another show with which you should start your collection. The performances of "Prove It All Night," "The Promised Land," and "Backstreets" are some of the best of all time. It was first released on CD by Great Dane Records as "Live in the Promised Land," and then Crystal Cat released their version called "Winterland Night," and the remasterer extraodinaire Prodigal Son released his version called "Prodigal Son at Winterland."

It should also be noted that this show was another of the early vinyl bootlegs, also called "Live in the Promised Land," but the source tape was from the broadcast and does not include the last two songs. By this time, Bruce knows that radio broadcasts really help the bootleg industry, and he dedicates "Racing in the Street" to all the guys on Kingsley and Ocean Avenues (along the Jersey Shore) who will hear this show "through the magic of bootlegging." This was Bruce's last radio broadcast until July 3, 1988.

------------------

The Saint, The Incident & The Main Point Shuffle by Great Dane Master Plus Edition

Date: February 5, 1975

CD1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UN5W1Y5C

CD2http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9D1LGN2G

Art-info http://www.megaupload.com/?d=79R3YC7M

Set List: Incident On 57th St / Mountain Of Love / Born To Run / E St Shuffle / Thunder Road / I Want You / Spirit In The Night / She's The One / Growin' Up / Saint In The City / Jungleland / Kitty's Back / New York City Serenade / Rosalita / 4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy) / A Love So Fine / For You / Back In The USA

Notes by the Backstreet bootleg index: FM Broadcast. Broadcast on WMMR radio in Philadelphia, PA, this show is perhaps one of the most legendary shows of Bruce's career. Bruce is introduced by Ed Sciaky to start the broadcast. Suki Lahav played violin and added backing vocals on several tracks during this period, most notably "Incident on 57th Street." In fact, this may be the definitive version of "Incident on 57th Street." This was probably one of the best shows of the period, certiainly one of the longest. Another note about "Incident" is that during the closing bars of the song a police siren can be heard, which is very fitting. This was the premiere of "Thunder Road," actually called "Wings For Wheels" at this time, as well as "Back In The USA" and "Mountain Of Love." Available on the CDs "The Saint, The Incident & The Main Point Shuffle (MasterPlus),""You Can Trust Your Car To The Man That Wears the Star," "Prodigal Son at the Main Point," and Crystal Cat's "Main Point Night."

-------------

Title: The Christic Nights - Persic Recordings

'Label': Ev2

Format: 2CD

Source: Audience

Date: November 16 & 17, 1990.

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=64RVJQ7X

My comment: One of the best acoustic sets he has ever done. Great sound quality. This boot is on the level of any offical releases.

Disc One (November 16 / First Night):

01 "It's Been A While" 02 Brilliant Disguise 03 Darkness On The Edge Of Town 04 Mansion On The Hill 05 "But You Don't Really Know Me.." 06 Reason To Believe 07 "She's So Sexy" 08 Red Headed Woman 09 57 Channels (And Nothin' On) 10 "Went To See A Psychiatrist" 11 My Father's House 12 Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out 13 Atlantic City 14 Wild Billy's Circus Story 15 "Rules Go Out The Window"

16 Nebraska 17 When The Lights Go Out 18 Thunder Road 19 "How To Be An Italian" 20 My hometown 21 Real World 22 Highway 61 Revisited (w/ Jackson Browne & Bonnie Raitt)

23 Across The Borderline (w/ Jackson Browne & Bonnie Raitt)

Disc Two (November 17 / Second Night):

01 "Haven't Done This In A While" 02 Brilliant Disguise 03 Darkness On The Edge Of Town 4 "Address Was 39 1/2" 05 Mansion On The Hill 06 "About The Price You Pay" 07 Reason To Believe 08 "That Miss Kitty Thing" 09 Red Headed Woman 10 "My Actual Life" 11 57 Channels (And Nothin' On) 12 "Mom, This Better Be Good" 13 The Wish 14 Tougher Than The Rest 15 Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out 16 Soul Driver 17 State Trooper 18 "Disconnection & Isolation" 10 Nebraska 20 When The Lights Go Out 21 Thunder Road 22 "Have My Kid Here Tonight" 23 My Hometown 24 Real World 25 Across The Borderline (w/ Jackson Browne & Bonnie Raitt)

source : nakamichi cm300 > sony tcd5m

transfer from master cassette(s)

TAPER : markp

Bootleg compilations

The Darkness Tour 1978

The Cautious Man Mixes Presents:

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

The Heart Of Darkness

The Darkness On The Edge Of Town 1978 Tour Compilation

CMM Volume #4

Download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NZY6EP5Z

Disc 1:

1. The Main Event 2. Summertime Blues (8-9-78 3. Badlands (9-19-78 4. Streets Of Fire (12-19-78 5. Something In The Night (5-31-78 6. Adam Raised A Cain (6-16-78 7. Darkness On The Edge Of Town (9-19-78 8. Factory (9-3-78 intro portion, 12-15-78 song portion 9. The Promised Land (9-19-78 10. Prove It All Night (9-30-78 11. The Ties That Bind (12-15-78 12. Racing In The Street (9-19-78 13. Thunder Road (12-15-78 14. Spirit In The Night (9-19-78

Disc 2:

1. Good Rockin' Tonight (9-30-78 2. I Don't Wanna Hang Up My Rock & Roll Shoes (9-3-78

3. Rendezvous (12-19-78 4. Fire (12-15-78 5. Candy's Room (12-15-78 6. Because The Night (8-9-78 7. She's The One Medley (Mona/Preacher's Daughter 12-15-78 & Gloria/She's The One 9-30-78 8. Point Blank (12-15-78 9. Backstreets (12-15-78 10. The Boss's Birthday Party 11. Meeting Across The River (9-19-78 12. Jungleland (12-15-78

Disc 3:

1. Kitty's Back (9-19-78 2. High School Confidential (9-21-78 3. A Christmas Story 4. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (12-15-78 5. Growin' Up (8-9-78 6. 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) (8-9-78 7. Rosalita (9-19-78 8. Born To Run (12-15-78 9. 10th Ave. Freeze-Out (12-15-78 10. Rave On (7-7-78

11. Raise Your Hand (12-15-78 12. Twist & Shout (7-7-78

[5/31/1978 Music Hall Boston, MA

6/16/1978 Memorial Hall Kansas City,

MO 7/7/1978 The Roxy Los Angeles,

CA 8/9/1978 The Agora Cleveland,

OH 9/3/1978 Civic Center Saginaw,

MI 9/19/1978 Capitol Theater Passaic,

NJ 9/21/1978 Capitol Theater Passaic, N

J 9/30/1978 Fox Theatre Atlanta, GA

12/15/1978 Winterland San Francisco, CA

12/19/1978 Paramount Theatre Portland, OR

Source: http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org/live-com...-added-t15.html

Edited by Jens Wildman

Some other stuff..

Low point #1: Dancing In The Dark - An Alternate Version

Lost a boot in Leap of faith

The River (on a street in Copenhagen)

Blood Brothers Danny Tribute (Rock take)

This is the tribute to Danny Federici from Springsteen & the ESB with the alternate rock version of "Blood Brothers"

RIP Phantom Dan.

Edited by Jens Wildman