All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. General News Discussion

Look, I know I am a lone voice on here (I’m never quite sure if Neil’s being contrary ) but I am not a lone voice “out there”. And yet more people are in quiet agreement but scared to speak out because of the abuse and at worst death threats that follow if the current narrative is challenged. Do trans people deserve protection in law? Absolutely. Does protecting trans rights mean impinging on women’s rights? Not in my opinion nor that of many others - and it’s a growing number.
  3. Primavera 2018

Madcool will have about half the names Primavera has so not even vaguely comparable to the strength in depth of PV plus the new site looks pretty charmless. No possibility of staying in a nice part of town nearby either. That said, the lineup does look strong and they've done a good job especially for a new-ish festival. Maybe in 5 years, it could be as good (at least in terms of lineup and organisation)?
  4. Lineup 2018

Can they throw in NIN again whilst they're at it?
  5. Glastonbury Festival International Airport

If there'd been a runway then this poor bugger wouldn't have needed to take such drastic measures.
  6. Comics Thread.. resurrected!

Well, hard to say, Essex County is in my all time top 5 comics, so I have rather a lot of emotional connection to it. But I can safely say that Roughneck is easily his most skilled work, and one of the most technically brilliant comics you're likely to come across. It's very much in the same vein as Underwater Welder and Essex County, it carries the same emotional heft and again focuses on a lonely man in rural Canada carrying round a lot of regret stemming from his past and his family. It's classic Lemire territory and he sells it beautifully, I love seeing him draw those wrinkly faces with little haunted dots for eyes. I think he's been sat on this story for a while, you can tell it's something he really wants to tell, but he's actually put it down on paper at a time where he's a much more confident and accomplished cartoonist than he was for Underwater Welder and Essex County. And maybe he's been helped out a lot by the success of his monthly series, he's making a good living off other stuff now so he could clearly afford to have Roughneck on the go as a labour of love rather than have any pressure to put it out before he was completely happy with it. This is coloured as well, but done sparingly; there's a real economy of storytelling to the whole thing which makes it an incredibly effective read. It'll take you about 2 hours to read it (and I'd say there's no other way of reading it than sitting down and reading the whole thing in one go with no distractions), and it's really satisfying to re-read it again afterwards, I'm on about 6 re-reads now and getting more out of it each time. Can't recommend it enough really.
  7. Lineup 2018

Pixies would be fine for a crowd of people waiting to see the Foos.
  8. General News Discussion

The other officer was in a different constituency - Madigan was part of a trio who harangued the sitting women’s officer to an extent the whole exec committee resigned over the party’s failure to address the bullying behaviour.
  9. General News Discussion

Here’s a summary of available research: http://www.sexologytoday.org/2016/01/do-trans-kids-stay-trans-when-they-grow_99.html
  10. Lineup 2018

Oi! There‘s still a few of the old school that go, it‘s not all about the kids :-)
  11. Lineup 2018

Nah loads of indie kids would love it. As annoying as it would be, playing NME against a mainstream act like Kendrick would mean they'd get a really good crowd of people who actually know who they are. Could potentially shift some day tickets too for people who aren't convinced by Kendrick. Agree it's a weird one, but they gotta throw in curveball acts to keep the festival interesting.
  12. Primavera 2018

fuck madcooool
  13. Lineup 2018

I've seen Pixies a few times in recent years, always great live. Last year at Manchester Apollo was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Agreed though that they'd be totally out of place at Reading & Leeds 2018, but I kinda get it if they'd be up against Kendrick. It'd be a huge shame having to miss them if that was the case, it's gutting there's no chance of them being up against Foo Fighters.
  14. Lineup 2018

Gotta say I agree but I'm not complaining, top quality band. It does however feel a little bit like a glasto booking and really am hoping it ain't foreshadowing the rest of the lineup to be aimed at glasto goers to coerce them to do R+L whilst it's taking a break. Really hope they keep those acts to a minimum, dunno if anyone agrees with that haven't seen it mentioned in a while.
  15. General News Discussion

Link?
  16. General News Discussion

and she is a woman I cant read the full times story. Was she elected? And someone on twitter says she was elected in Kent, and other woman was a different constituency.
  17. General News Discussion

The Labour party’s own rules states the women’s officer must be a women.
  18. Lineup 2018

Pixies would be such a weird booking, I don't think there's many people at R&L target demographic age range that will have even heard of them.
  19. General News Discussion

Except that the TRM at its worst condemns lesbian women who do not want to sleep with trans women who retain their penises, as transphobic.
  20. Lineup 2018

I was trying to get at the fact they don't need to have supported the band above them or worked with the act above them to sub, that has no bearing. Wouldn't have said last years subs & headliners went hand in hand though compared to 2015 and 2016 but maybe I'm wrong.
  21. General News Discussion

It’s what the Tavistock says; the leading clinic in the UK for treating gender identity disorders. I’m not making shit up for the fun of it.
  22. General News Discussion

I dont know of that particular case, but she was elected into the post. So really, whats the issue if its a fair election?
  23. General News Discussion

As above, ireland managed it fine Its not your experience or feelings in question. Saying most people 'grow out' of gender dysphyoria is utter rubbish. Same stuff people said/say about gay people.
  24. Comics Thread.. resurrected!

I suspect that this will be my one and only contribution on this thread, but you never know. I met someone a few times who used to contribute to comics. It was a long long time ago. I'm fairly certain that he drew for well known comics. Not sure if he created the wording too. His name was, and hopefully still is, Hunt Emerson. My then girlfriend was sharing a house with him in Handsworth. I recall him being a very affable bloke.
  25. General News Discussion

Id have thought the gay community is more sympthetic towards the plight of fellow travellers
  26. General News Discussion

None, and I haven't claimed any. I know nothing of the individuals involved and am not saying the right choice was made, but to attack the decision because you don't like the "gender" of the winner does not seem right to me.
  1. Load more activity